I Forge Iron

Happy Holidays 2020 !!!

George N. M.

Happy and Merry Christmas, Hannukkah, Solstice, Kwanzaa, or other seasonal holiday of your choice!  May this season be happy and productive and may you receive lots of coal (or propane) in your stocking.  And may 2021 be a much better year than this one (which is an admittedly very low bar).  We're going to stay up to midnight on New Year's Eve, not to see the new year in but to make sure the old one leaves.  I don't want to make up the next morning and find out that it is December 32, 2020.

Good thoughts and prayers to all of you.  You all have made it a lot easier to get through this year.

Cheerfully,

George

You know you can sing the "Viking Birthday Dirge" and swap out the "Happy Birthday" with "Merry Christmas"?

Spending the day sitting on the couch with my wife; sun and woodstove heating to equatorial temps.  Watching some old favorites on the DVD player.

Monday I hope to go to the scrapyard and fire up the forge.

• 2 months later...

Welcome aboard AirForce, glad to have you. First off thank you for serving! Now to the meat, if you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. 

When responding in a thread like "happy holidays" it's a good idea to note the date of the last post. If it wasn't a mistake I agree with you, I have wishes I'd like to see come true before next Christmas but I'll take it then.

What are your interests in blacksmithing? 

Frosty The Lucky.

It is the truth, don't get frustrated when something doesn't go as you wish, but for real it is very difficult. Indeed, this world pandemic situation made everyone fear and suffer. To tell the truth, Christmas is my favorite holiday. I remember how a year ago we made a cool party with our friends in the yard. We hired a stage from a UK company and called some friends, musicians for accompaniment, we ordered audio visual hire, and spend a perfect time together. We felt free and happy. But now I'm afraid of anything and every day I feel psychologically stressed. Who now when this all will end?

Not too early to start working on Christmas Presents for 2021!  Especially if they involve learning and practicing new skills.  I'm always flabbergasted by folks saying, "I've never forged before, but I want my first project to be a complex pattern mosaic Damascus Sword and I've promised it for someone's birthday gift in 2 weeks!"  Two years would be a better estimate if they are willing to really work at it!

Boy, put a squash on holidays why don't you? :lol:

Airforce: Buddy, making us guess you live in the UK is going to have us making up places you might live once we open a different post. If on the other hand you put in the header as suggested it'll be on every post you make so we can exercise our imaginations on other things like . . . your NAME! <evil grin> :rolleyes:

One reason I sign my posts is so everybody knows how to address me. It can be uncomfortable for some folks to ask a direct question without knowing a preferred method of address. I've gotten used to southerners (USA) addressing me as Sir. I don't feel like a sir but it's how they're brought up, everybody is sir or ma'am. 

The world is beginning to get a handle on the pandemic but it's going to be quite a while before things start getting back to normal. . . ish. 

Few things in life are as soul satisfying as using things you've made with your hands and few things are better therapy than time at the anvil. Blacksmithing is about control, every aspect is under the direct hands on control of the smith from the: fire, hammer, stock, tools, where you put them, where and how the anvil is placed, oriented and you address it. Every darned aspect requires control and you can't control hot iron under a hammer if you aren't in control of yourself. 

When a person steps into the: shop, smithy, forge, whatever, they rarely enter without a project or goal in mind and making plans. If you're burning solid fuel you MUST build a fire, you don't just light one you have to BUILD it and it takes: steps, time and control to get right. 

There's a whole list I won't bore you with, my point is. By time you've arranged your tools, picked the stock, built a fire and everything's ready to swing a hammer you are in a zen state. You've taken quiet firm control of your surroundings because you've taken control of yourself. Fear, anxiety, anger, whatever gets in the way but you've put them aside to get the space ready to work. Time at the anvil is very meditative, far more than taking your aggressions out on the steel. 

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes Ma'am:P

It makes perfect sense, when I was younger my autism would be a lot harder to control and I would get over simulated by lights and sounds very quick. My method of relaxing was either sharpening knives or making ring mail armbands and other jewelry. The focus and repetition made all other things just disappear, it was just me tools and me in a bubble. 

As I get more time at the anvil and making things again I feel the same calm enter my brain when I just focus on heating the steel and forming it with my hammer and tongs. Or even just when I work on stuff with a grinder or welder. 

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

I've gotten used to southerners (USA) addressing me as Sir. I don't feel like a sir but it's how they're brought up, everybody is sir or ma'am. 

Yes sir, it is the way we were raised but I understand not feeling like a sir when someone says it to me. 

The thing I've struggled with during the pandemic is shaking hands. I was raised to shake hands and I'm just now getting it out of my head. 

Pnut

pnut, that's probably one of the things I find hard to become accustomed to...not being able to shake hands as a form of greeting and departing.  That's almost as bad as not going out to eat at a restaurant, which we have not done for a year now.  It will be a wonderful day when we all can shake hands again, give our loved ones and others a hug and not be fearful of doing that.  I too, was reared by addressing others, not just elders, with "Sir" and "M'am".  It just seems natural.  I still open doors for ladies of all ages.