I Forge Iron

Finish used by Full Time Smiths?

MRB

Hi,

I have been experimenting a lot lately, and am trying to find a clean and efficient finish for my fire place sets. Wire wheeling takes a while and is dangerous, sandblaster takes a while and doesn’t look nice, tumbler worked great but now doesn’t function. I’m just interested to know what most other professional smiths do to clean up their work before applying linseed oil or other finishes.

Thanks!

Electrolysis, acid bath, vibratory media, etc.  Each has a different look to the work. 

Linseed oil ? Why not try paint where applicable.  There are some hammered look paints that are nice.  Clear coats keep the look of the metal as well as provide protection.  Colored waxes have been used.

Great call with the paint fellas! When I research Hammertone, two options come up. Either Hammerlite or Rustoleum Hammered Paint. Are both similar? And how would they wear to the heat of a fire at the tip?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

proof against temps over 500f. 

The VHT "flameproof" paint claims 1300°F-2000°F. Curing is required for best performance. But it will dry and be strong without curing.

Exhaust paints are higher temp. It's the engine paints that are good up to around 500°f.

You're right tho, they are a good option And even come in satin clear if you wanted to keep the metal look. It will darken the look a bit but I don't mind on what I use it for. 

11 hours ago, MRB said:

Rustoleum Hammered Paint.

My old teacher Fred Crist (former Master Blacksmith at the old Yellin shop on Arch Street in Philadelphia) uses the Rustoleum Hammered for exterior work. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Thanks Das, I thought I was remembering on the low side but the number kept coming up in my dented brain. 

When we're talking fire tools they usually don't spend a lot of time actually in the fire so they don't usually get so hot. This thread got me curious so I took a look at the fire rake I use as a poker in the wood stove. It was left unfinished and after probably 20 years has a thin black scale finish in general with hand rubbed highlights, The fire contact end is always ashy steel without scale. It isn't a sale item or show piece and is in the house. My point about our indoor fire rake is how little the fire has effected it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I’m glad I asked, everyone has some real good ideas! I experimented with the hammered paint today, and I like it. It won’t replace a nice clean wax finish, but for my large production items like pokers, the paint will work great. Plus I can put that stuff right over the scale. I painted a poker, and did a nice abuse test bringing the poker tip to a yellow heat in my forge. The paint burned up on the working end of course, further down wasn’t terribly effected and wore in nicely with the shaft of the poker. Plus I can offer different colors if desired too, and this should last better to rust if stored outdoors for pits then my normal linseed oil finish