I Forge Iron

I've been considering the name of my shop for a while and have settled on Heavy Hand Forge.  My siblings and kids always made jokes about the size of my meat mittens.  On more then one occasion my kids would hold hotdogs behind my fingers and yell "I can't see the hotdog"!  Always got sausage fingers,  and I am banned from trying to move small pieces on game boards.   It always looked like a tornado came through on Monopoly.

I got to wondering about some of the names other members have for their shops and wondered what the inspiration was.  

Mine is B.F. Forge. While BF are my initials, it is actually Blood and Fire Forge. The secondary name I don't really push since I kind of like the hidden meaning and it feels kind of excessive to me. However, it came to me after missing my punch with my 4# hammer, smashing my knuckles full force for the umpteenth time (that day). We've all been there :rolleyes:.

Anyway, while continuing to work and leaking all over the shop, I had the sudden urge to drip some blood over the coals. Thus, B.F. Forge was born.

"Recycled Ranch"  I live in ranching country and use a lot of Ranch/Farm scrap in my smithing. (And the pretentious artsy folks are all into "recycled" sources...) Latest was using old rusty barbwire to make Christmas ornaments: barbwire basket icicles.

barbwireBasketIcicles.jpg.36cbbeef88d4490e7510b4b4c90234eb.jpg

My cards go:

Recycled Ranch

Thomas Powers                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Blacksmith

Then the contact info.

• 1 month later...

I am Harvest Gap Forge. I wanted a "place" name.  I was 14 when I named it and didn't want to name it after an actual place because who knows where I will end up living. I'll be able to move my business anywhere just about - maybe not the plains or the beach - but that's ok. I like the mountains.

Harvest Gap. It is a great place that can be anywhere because it exists in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Punkin' patch forge. When i first started i was working outside at the time and usually only on weekends. I went out one day and my pumpkins had grown all around my space and had completely covered my anvil and forge. At the time i was not really interested in a shop or a name for that matter and just kind of said it jokingly, well it stuck. 

Yardbird Forge.  My ex used to keep and sell ungodly numbers of chickens, and occasionally one would get out and do unspeakable things to my anvil.  I keep a few now, partly to keep the current wife happy, partly for the eggs, and partly because watching bald eagles bounce off of box wire trying to eat my birds is funny.  It doesn't hurt them, but it annoys the heck out of 'em.  One actually bent the wire last week trying an assault from above.

We named our forge when it was no more than a lively washtub, hair dryer and piece of rr track.

We had recently attended a renaissance festival and my 8 yo named our forge "Olde Tyme Blacksmythe Shoppe" 

If I ever do a touchmark I want to do a stylized sundial using the letters O & T