I Forge Iron

Bandsaw and Gear Reducer?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see what you mean, and I'm considering something along those lines. However, this also needs to have some kind of quick-release mechanism, so I can shift the belt from one motor to the other with a minimum of fuss.

Leave the threaded rod stickout short and have an appropriate sized socket drill bit in a little bag pinned to the frame? That's what I do for my break-down workbench and it's really nice if you always have a cordless drill somewhere nearby.

Come to think of it after I drew this one, just do away with the all-thread assembley and the one of the hinges and just use a rubber tipped toggle clamp.:wacko:   Sorry for the sideways picture.   Quick change and stability!

20210122_154517_compress4.jpg

I've been thinking about something that doesn't require tools, and I will definitely add this to the "possibilities with toggles" mental file.

I've been listening to a lot of Adam Savage's "Tested" videos lately, and he talks a lot about "First Order Retrievability" for his tool storage: the idea that you shouldn't ever have to move one tool in order to get the tool you want. In thinking about a lot of the processes of my shop, I've realized that a lot of the things that I never get around to doing are things that I've unwittingly made more difficult for myself by setting them up in a way that requires additional steps to achieve the desired end. In this particular case, if I can reduce the motor switchover procedure to <release motor 1 lock> / <move belt from motor 1 to motor 2> / <engage motor 2 lock> without having to go fetch another tool from somewhere else in the shop (assuming I put it away in the right spot in the first place!), that means I'm much more likely to switch back and forth whenever I want to rather than when I HAVE to.