I Forge Iron

Bandsaw and Gear Reducer?

If I'm not mistaken, the motor only applies the minimum torque necessary to keep spinning, so until you apply a load you shouldn't see a difference. Only practical difference I can think of is how much of a scare you get if something goes wrong and the blade jams up.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With all that extra hp, if something jams, you will quickly go 'code brown' and see the weak link in the chain. Kinda like the shear pins on a snowblower. With the 1/3 hp motor, the motor itself should bog down before anything else goes 'boing'.

Steve

Badsaws aren't scary when they jam and break a blade, it happens every now and then. 

Having enough power a chipped tooth doesn't stop the blade is a good thing, it's much less likely to jam or break if it just pulls through.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go overboard on HP but it's not going to hurt a thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Perfect, you could superglue a saw blade to the shaft and just show it to your stock, it'd section itself.  

Heck, 900hp at 900rpm, you could attach the drive pully to the shaft and forget gear reduction. Use the motor for the stand. You could charge people to look at it.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you had a gear increaser (whatever the fancy word for that is), you could do some friction cutting! Ever had a perverse desire to cut a ball bearing in half with a bandsaw?

Also, Frosty, on my landlord's bandsaw, there's a gaping 2" hole around the blade. I think he lost the piece of the table that's supposed to hug the blade, but they don't make parts for this piece of junk anymore. In any event, it sometimes will suck a piece of cutoff into the hole. Hasn't launched anything yet but it sure is spooky. This bandsaw is hungry

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I don't think they would sell that for a "home shop"

My problem is that every time I manage to convince my sales rep that I’m basically harmless, he quits, and I have to start over again with a new guy. 

Also, I don’t have 2,300 volt service. 

Holy smokes, something just dawned on me. That green beast is drawing at least 292 amps of current (that's assuming it's got a power factor of 100%) and it's totally enclosed! If you stalled that thing (a herculean task to be sure), it could turn into a pipe bomb! Yikes!

On 1/11/2021 at 6:20 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I don't think they would sell that for a "home shop"

The surplus sale outfit John frequents has a warehouse of crazy BIG motors and they don't care who buys one. I'm a little surprised John picked this peanut motor for the post. 

If you're going circle saw don't use a friction blade, I'm pretty sure it'll pull a dry cut blade. 

You'd probably black out Oberlin and surrounding areas before that motor stalled.

Frosty The Lucky.

Finished the motor mount for the wood-cutting side of the vertical bandsaw. Here’s drive belt running to the wood side:

1932C60B-B835-4A8A-B848-ACD5F05BC47B.jpeg

And to the metal side:

4344835C-098D-40ED-9504-48BC3728B882.jpeg

(Note the chunk of wood under the wood side motor keeping it from dropping down too far.)

And here’s the view from the front:

CA20DDCD-F171-4CF3-9F12-E51430F751D1.jpeg

I didn’t try a wood-cutting blade on the saw, but I did run the wood-side motor with the metal blade already in place. All well.

I still need to add something to keep the motors from bouncing too much while running; their own weight isn't enough to keep sufficient tension on the pulley. I also want something a bit more elegant than that chunk of wood to keep the wood side motor from dropping down too far (the switch box on the motor does the job on the metal side). Ideas are marinating....

As a short-term measure, I added a hold-down made from one of the old tires. Better than nothing, but still with room for improvement. 

8B523939-318D-41D9-BEE1-4E019DCC347E.jpeg

The pulley on the saw and the belt need replacing. The pulley isn’t running true, and the belt’s pretty worn. 

I’m also getting this odd little shudder about every second and a half. Not sure what’s behind it, but I’m inclined to think that one of the tires isn’t completely seated.  

On 1/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, JHCC said:

Ideas are marinating....

How about some all-thread, a few nuts and washers and a couple of rubber snubbers?  Oh, and a bracket to bolt it all to.    Can't help with the shudders.  Working on my own....

Put on a new belt, but not a new pulley; the one I got had a 1/2” bore rather than 5/8”. I’m not going to bother getting the right one, because I’ve realized that the shudder seems to be coming from the motor — it’s still there when you run the motor without the belt. 

So, apart from figuring out a better way to keep the motor from bouncing, I think I’m done with this, at least for now. Might think about adding some bracing to the base or even making a new one down the road, but not at present.