I Forge Iron

A day that will live in infamy.

Every year of my adult life, I have said a prayer for those lost and the survivors of that day. Then I check for stories about Pearl Harbor in every news outlet I can find.
Sadly there has been less and less to be found. Today I checked every outlet I could think of and there has been zero...nada...nothing, it's a sad day for sure when the country forgets our hero's.

December 7th, 1941...A day that will live in infamy. ~FDR

Time has a way of making our stories more insignificant like erosion and the weathering of stone but it lives on as long as there are those who learn and retell it. 

If I remember right my grandfather on my mothers side was there, but may have been after the attack. He never talked about it or his military service that I ever heard, and I've only ever heard very minor mention from my mom or aunts. 

Prayers for those who lost their lives and loved ones on that day and the many after. 

Some remember irondragon... even if they weren't alive then. I remember for two specific reasons...

My grandfather telling me about living through that time and why he joined the army.

Me, standing on the deck of the Arizona memorial in class A uniform- staring at all those names in marble... and then at the Arizona herself, just under my feet.

• 1 year later...

My local paper had a short article this morning, including an interview with a 101 yr old survivor from the Arizona, that talked about today’s ceremony and how few of the survivors would be able to attend this year 

There was a piece on Fox news but I needed to get the winter tires on the truck so I could plow. (16" so far since yesterday evening) To beat the line at the Diversified Tire I make sure to be at the gate an hour before they open and I didn't get home till 9am. Then had to dig the plow out and shovel tire tracks so the everything would line up. Anyway, caught it on TV early this morning, it's been on the radio all day, there is a ceremony at the veteran's memorial in Wasilla and the memorial wall on the Parks Highway near Willow.

I'm taking another break from hanging the plow (the foot sunk into the ground and is frozen down, I'm boiling water to free it) and surfing the news channels in response to this thread, three of the for news channels I surfed have mentioned it and a prime time piece later.

It's not "remembered" like when I was young but it is remembered. Thankfully there isn't as much anger directed at Japan today as it was when everybody's Father was a vet, disabled or maybe didn't come home at all. 

I've been to the Arizona and watched the oil bubbling to the surface making a sheen. It was a solemn place that' almost impossible not to say a prayer standing on her. I can't imagine the ghosts today, it makes me offer prayers a couple times today. 

If you get the chance visit the Arizona it doesn't matter when, it's always hallowed ground.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty, makes me feel better knowing the event is still being told about. Even though I was born 7 months later, our family lost two members in the attack that mom & dad made me aware of them when I got old enough to understand the grief they were going through. Rest in Peace Uncle Glenn and Aunt Mary, y'all done good.

I thought i was the only one who noticed that it seemed no one even mentioned Pearl Harbor today. 

My granddad was a WW2 vet, served on a tank in Europe. My dad served in Vietnam and i served in Iraq as well. It truly saddens me that not even a mention from the media to our elected officials about Pearl Harbor was heard today. 

• 11 months later...

Still nothing I could find in the MSM such a sad state of affairs if you ask me. This is from the muzzleloading forum I am a member of.

November 7th Happy 102nd Birthday Motor Machinist Second Class Cedric Stout. He is one of only two USS Utah crew members living.
Say Happy Birthday to Cedric Stout!. News story on his 100th birthday.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/bridge-city-veteran-recalls-attack-pearl-harbor-80-year-aniversary/502-02eaccb8-5235-4aa9-975e-83e5d3bc7c3e

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

At least there are some of us who still think of Pearl Harbor when the date December 7th is mentioned.  I wonder how much the date of September 11th will resonate in 82 years.

December 7th has a personal significance for me because on 7 Dec 1969 I reported to the Infantry Officers Basic Course at then Ft. Benning, GA for active duty.  How can it be 54 years ago?

GNM

Sadly i have not heard even a whisper of it mentioned today, well yesterday now. 

I have never been to Hawaii much less the Pearl Harbor memorial. I did go to the Vietnam memorial in DC with my dad. My dad and grandfather were my heroes growing up. Never have there been 2 bigger, stronger, more courageous men than them in my opinion. Watching my dad break down and cry  like child reading the names of his friends and some of our family who came home draped in a flag... it is hard to descibe what i felt but just that tore me up. I imagine it is much the same at the Arizona. 

I pray that the good Lord takes those who fought and died into his graces, may he bless all those who lived, and may he bless and guide those who serve. From all nations. Freind or foe i have the utmost respect for anyone who stands to defend their nation and their people. 

Whenever I am in DC I go to "The Wall."  Frankly, it is not fun and it usually puts me in a somber mood for the rest of the day but it is a duty I need to do out of the memory and respect for those who were not as lucky as I was.  They never got to come home and become an old blacksmith.  

"They will not grow old, as we who are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them."

-Laurence Binyon

George

(late of 1/C/1/12 Cav/ 1 Cav Div (Airmobile), Republic of Vietnam, 1970-71)

Debi's dad my FIL, was in the Navy stationed at Pearl Harbor on the USS Yorktown, which was at sea the day of the attack. The Yorktown and two other carriers attacked the Japanese fleet after the attack. The Yorktown suffered damage at that time and the crew were able to save her.

He was a Shipfitter rating and was on the damage control team. Later at the battle of Midway the Yorktown was lost/sunk. He survived and was reassigned to the USS Lexington for the remainder of the war. Never did he talk much about it except for his hatred of the Japanese. He told Debi and her sister, if they ever dated a "Jap" (a common term used at the time) he would disown them. He passed away about twenty years ago... RIP John ya done good.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

This may be an example of how family stories get twisted.  Actually, the USS Yorktown was at Norfolk, VA during the Pearl Harbor attack.  It's possible that he was on either Enterprise or Lexington which were at sea in the Pacific during the Pearl Harbor attack and he was later assigned to Yorktown and the ship and where it was on December 7th got conflated during the telling.

Intense dislike of the Japanese or Germans after the war was not particularly uncommon.  I grew up in a predominately Jewish neighborhood and some of my friends' parents (some of whom had numbers tatooed on their arms) would refuse to ride in a Volkswagon or use any other German product.  Pretty understandable IMO.

GNM

George, the Vietnam Memorial should put any one into a somber mood same as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. 

There is a statue at the wall of 3 soldiers looking at it. I do not beleive that statue gets the recognition it deserves.  To me it is pretty powerful, 3 guys who came from very different backgrounds yet found a type of brotherhood that can only be found in the trenches, looking at the names of their fallen brothers. My first visit there with my dad was not long after it was put up and i was maybe 12 or 13 years old and of all the memorial it is that statue that i remember most of all. 

Irondragon, that feeling of hatred, dislike, or suspicion towards those you fought against is pretty common. My granddad was in the Army, a tanker, in Europe. He was not found of Germans or Italians after the war.

Salute to your FIL. 

20 hours ago, George N. M. said:

This may be an example of how family stories get twisted

Ya, that's probably my fault, got it confused with the Yorktown being at Pearl while under repairs. Before the battle of Midway. It's been a long time since John & I had any conversations and his passing. Still miss him though. I always teased him about marrying his daughter, so I would have him as a FIL.:o