I Forge Iron

Press is not as powerful as it should be

Chem

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

Another good option is to replace the hoses with metal tubes and flare fittings, so long as they're rated for hydraulics. That eliminates pretty much all the flex.

True, but you need seamless pipe for that, and all the steps to bend the pipe and crimp the nuts requires quite some skill and special tools. But if you go that way, make sure you remove all the sharp edges from where you cut the pipe (inside and out) and after you are done crimping the nuts on, clean the pipe by blowing air trough the pipe (we used cotton pellets for that, you have them for every size of hydraulic pipe)

And after you made your pipe, make sure to put clamps before and after each bend (and connect those clamps to something solid, even tough pipe does not move much, it can still get damaged by only be attached with the nuts, this is because there will be pressure spikes when you move your cylinder (yet another reason I am so fond of accumulators))

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice that I got. I built a home made hydraulic press that wasn't performing as well as it should.  I built it with the cylinder retracting when it did the compress. I redesigned the press (thanks to yall) to where the work was done with the cylinder ram extending.  It worked so well that I actually had to limit it so it wouldn't crush more than I intended.  It was easy to fine tune it by dropping the pressure from 2800 down to 1700 psi. If anyone interested in making one, or just curious, I can load a few pictures of the new design. Hopefully it will help someone.