I Forge Iron

ABANA October 14, 2021 Meet Johnstown PA

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw their promo on the youtube and added the date in my calendar. I'm hoping to get down there and I'm glad to hear you'll be demonstrating!

I would say congratulations, but I can't say I'm surprised to hear it.

(...but still congrats :lol:

• 5 months later...

I am going to have to plan for this. Just went to my first meet in Reynoldsville last week. This one is a bit farther but since I know about it earlier than the week before, I should be able to plan a little better.

Sfeile, if you can make it.. It's going to be pretty good..  Ellen Durkan will be there as well as a few others of the female persuasion. 

There will be lots to see and lots to learn..  I might do a quicky welding lesson for some lucky person or a quicky knife forging..  

Anyhow will be a good time. 

I'm going to try my best. I do like watching your videos and a welding lesson would be awesome to see. 

I've just managed to make a blade from my 3rd ever attempt at forge welding. Turned out mostly ok, but I do have 2 small cold shuts in it.

Always looking to learn more though.

A big reason don't say hi is the demonstrator is demonstrating and they don't want to interrupt. Not to mention how much there is to see and do.  Lots of folks are shy in a public setting. Catching you when there aren't a bunch of people around would be different.

Frosty The Lucky.

EXACTLY. You are so engaged in what you're doing, people don't want to interrupt just to say hi. 

Do you lay down the hammer and just chat with the audience for a little while between demonstration pieces? Not be the educator, just turn off the demonstration and talk. 

I certainly do, as laid back and entertaining as I am, friends and acquaintances don't want to break in just to say hi. If I spot one I'll wave and give a shout out but I usually don't notice if they don't say hi. 

I make a point of brushing the anvil off and laying the hammer down on it between demo pieces and just talking to people. They are "staged" breaks, it's part of the theater. Do some make work, maybe sit down, have a cookie pour a little iced tea just make it plain I'm free to talk. THAT'S when people approach me to: ask questions, say hi, discuss commissions, lessons, do I know so and so? Have fun with the kids while keeping them away from dangerous stuff, etc. 

It's rarely more than 10 minutes or so but it makes me much more approachable. There's a big difference between "being" approachable and the audience perceiving us as Approachable :DDemonstrations are all about the audience's perception. We may think we're doing good presentations but are we? 

Do you ask people what they think later, as in away from the event? Not question them, just ask and listen. If something doesn't sound right, maybe ask more questions, maybe ask someone else. I never make someone defend their opinion or perceptions, I WANT to know what they see and think. Yes? 

Frosty The Lucky.

This is one reason I try to wear an Aloha shirt and Lederhosen Friday at Quad-State; lots easier for people to recognize me than to go looking for a middle aged stout guy balding with a beard wearing bluejeans...

(The other reason is a memorial to Jim "Paw-Paw" Wilson; who recognized the reference to "Glory Road", RAH in a post I made.  We were supposed to meet that year at Q-S; instead I made the "Passing Toast" for him at it.)

Oscar is the main character so dubbed when Star asked his name he said, "Oh Scar," for the scar on his face. The empress said Oscar it is and Oscar it was. Better than, Evelyn Cyril Gordon, for an adventure novel.

Okay, I concede I need to read Glory Road again. I can't find anybody wearing an aloha shirt and lederhosen, only the reference you cite. Page 5, I just read 1-5. Remind me to never get into a RAH quote or quip contest with you. I actually recall the first paragraph I wrote. Now I'm not sure, does Oscar wear an aloha shirt and lederhosen later in the book, maybe during his days of boredom before returning to the glory road?

Guess I'll have to shout Thomas if I see someone wearing an aloha shirt and lederhosen at a convention. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A throw away line by RAH turns into something I'm constantly reminded of, probably why I identify you with Rufo. 

If there's no in joke reason I won't yell anything. I don't care for yelling in crowds, no telling how somebody will react. I'll just sneak up on you and shoot you with silly string or something. Maybe throw a snowball. Maybe say something from, "Starship Troopers."

It'll probably be 2022 before Deb and I get down to conference country, I'll have time to read and plot. 

Frosty The Lucky.

"Nuke the entire site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure!"

I'll see what happens this year; I don't know if being retired and being able to drive leisurely out to Q-S spending time with our kids and grandkids will increase our attendance or the drop in income will decrease it.

Currently they are a go---from the SOFA website:

Quadstate 2021 will be September 24, 25 & 26

With Ohio opening up covid restrictions, we will be going back to our original layouts using our regular demo sites, camping and vendors.

One major change this year is if you don’t pre-register, you will need to register for the event and camping at the gate when you arrive. All information will be posted on the website and Facebook when we mail out the event booklet next month.

I think Deb has this summer pretty booked with dog sport trials she's missed and we'd need to drive the RV down, then to her son's place in Oregon to store for winter. 

Be nice to have the RV on site, it has a really comfy bed and amenities. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

If my wife attends with me we drive her cargo van and put the bed in that and back it into a tarp and conduit "shelter".  About the time she turned 60; she gave up camping on the ground; I expect giving up camping totally will happen by the time she turns 80.  Me, I'm cheap would rather invest in rusty  metal than a hotel room!

I'm with her, sleeping on the ground lost it's appeal for me a long time ago. There's nothing like tenting about 3/4 of the 20 years I was drilling, to wear that new smell off your sleeping bag. 

Frosty The Lucky.