I Forge Iron

Getting oil into (and out of ) the hard to reach places

I have a production job with lots of floral parts where the oil gets in to corners and I cannot reach it to adequately wipe down so a heavier residue is left behind. I am now using a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and thinner. This is almost good enough but there are still some spots were it still dries a little too thick.  I am tempted to just use straight WD-40. Any thoughts? This is just for interior use. Thanks

Have you tried applying it to warm pieces? Not hot but say 150f. as it cools it'll increase capillarity and draw the mix in better.

My next thought would be to thin the BLO further, incrementally till it penetrated like I wanted.

3rd thought.  LPS 3 is a strong penetrant and leaves a waxy film when the volatiles evaporate. It also contains corrosion inhibitors and is safe on many metals and things nonmetallic: wood, cloth, rubber, leather, etc. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I am oiling at room temperature. The mix is 50/50 boiled linseed and mineral spirits. I do blow the oil out from the crevices which is a big help.  I was hesitant to dilute below 50/50 because I didn’t want to thin too much and lose too much oil protection. I will try warming the piece prior to oiling. 

I will also try LPS. Is Wd40 not recommended?

Thanks so much for the help

So I thought I should report back. From the responses, I got the impression that it was straightforward and really shouldn't be an issue. So...I checked my container of Boiled Linseed Oil. There was a heavy deposit of sludge in the bottom. I am assuming it was old/bad/not useful. I replaced it with new stock, thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits and i can now dip my pieces, blow them out, warm slightly and they are done and look great. Thanks for the collective wisdom. You got me to rethink my steps and go back to first principles. Thank you, I appreciate it.