I Forge Iron

Anvil identification

Good day everyone, I've found and bought this anvil in august from a retiring blacksmith and have tried doing research on the maker, without success, so I'm wondering if any of you might know a bit more about the history of this anvil.

I bought the anvil in Belgium, Antwerp, and it's very similar to an UAT anvil, it weighs 145 kg or 320lbs, it's height is 30cm or 11 13/16'', it's 88.5 cm or 2' 10 27/32" long, it's 16 cm or 6 19/64 " wide, it has a hardy hole and a pritchel hole which are 3 cm or 1 3/16" wide and it has the number 145 for the weight on it's side together with ''LG'' which I think might be the maker.

Thank you in advance and kind regards Quinlan.

IMG_20200723_202802.jpg

IMG_20200714_192852.jpg

IMG_20200723_202746.jpg

Would be pretty cool if that would've been it.

But could it be possible that the anvil was made in Liège-Guillemin at the railway station, it was first opened in 1842 but I couldn't find any information regards to metal industry in that specific place.

There's also a museum close by about the metal industry and blacksmithing, I'll visit that in hopefully the near future, might get some good information over yonder.

Hello- this is LDW0412 from NC in USA.

need so advise on identifying an anvil I’ve had for over 30 years, but never used.  I’ve attached a picture and would be happy to add more.  Based on 30 min research I think it is M&H Mousehole made in England in the 1830’s.  It is in great condition as far as I can tell. No cracks, just dirty and covered in spider webs.   Would love some input from the group.  Thanks!

ED4F7956-13C8-4826-AC1A-F657A5786DE6.jpeg

Hey there LDW0412, glad to have you! You may not have used it, but she has certainly seen some use over her lifetime. I'm sure it could still be put back to work depending on the condition of the working surface (I'm not sure what you plan to do with it?). 

I'm not an anvil expert, I'm sure they will be along shortly, I can tell you that the "0 3 0' on the bottom is the original weight using the hundred weight system where:

x y z = 112x + 28y + z = weight in pounds

so... 0 3 0 = 84 pounds (originally)

If you're looking to use it, I would clean it up with a wire brush/wheel and check the rebound using a 1/2"-1" ball bearing. If you're just looking to hang on to it, it still might be worthwhile to clean it up with a wire wheel and give it a nice coat of a 50-50 mix or boiled linseed oil and turpentine to protect it from further rust and such. If you're looking to sell it, judging by that one picture I wouldn't consider the condition to be great, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have some value if the working surface is still hardened.

Regardless, don't do any grinding or milling of the top surface as it will remove the tool steel plate that is welded to the face of the anvil. 

Maybe a few other pictures from several angles (maybe even one of the bottom) will help people more qualified than I am to help. 

P.S. If you put your general location in your profile you may be surprised how many smiths here live in your area and they may not remember where you are located after leaving this page.

M&H Armitage Mousehole Forge, [England?], Warranted (mouse) Hole, Sheffield Patent,  They had trouble getting all that stamped on such a small anvil.  Great travel size or beginners anvil.

If you really want the details Richard Postman, "Author of Anvils in America",  also wrote a book " Mousehole Forge" with tons of details in it. (Funny the big A lists it as US$26 new and $62.65 used...)