I Forge Iron

Old Leg Vise -need help

rarefruit

I am restoring my father old blacksmith leg vise and the sold screw box (nut) is almost worn out.

I want to locate a nut that I can weld in the  sold screw box (nut). The screw thread shaft  is ok.

Please help, I cannot locate a nut that will work.

Thank You for a 76 year old man.

Welcome aboard rarefruit, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might meet up with members living within visiting distance. do you have a name or nickname we can address you with? Rarefruit is a little cumbersome.

Can you post some pics of your vise? I don't know if you can find a nut that'll match the threads on the screw though I'm sure a competent machinist could cut them for you. You might have a better chance of finding another leg vise as a parts donor. 

Another option is to replace both the screw box and shaft with Acme thread nut and shaft. 

We have some guys who are experienced rebuilding leg vises, I'm sure a couple will speak up soon. Pics will help everybody evaluate it and make suggestions. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard... It will help if we knew where in the world you are located, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. Pictures of the vise will also help. I'm afraid you will never find a standard nut to fit the screw and welding it into the screw box would be difficult. There are several good threads on restoring leg vises in the vise sub section. Don't be surprised if your post is moved there, where it will get more exposure.

There is a lot of tips in this thread on using the forum. READ THIS FIRST

As usual Frosty & I were typing at the same time.:)

As I recall "Practical Blacksmithing" Richardson mentioned removing most of the bad threads and casting a Babbitt internal sleeve using the screw covered with a release agent as a mandrel.

RF: this is an international forum here on the world wide web and so asking "where to get something" without telling at least what country you are in might get you answers from Finland or Australia.