I Forge Iron

Hi from Alberta

Hawkbox

Good morning, I've had an interest in forging since the early 2000's when my brother had one for his farrier work but I've only just recently had the time to really dig back into it.  I'm going to take a run at building my own so I have a lot of reading to do but it should be fun.  I imagine I'll ask a lot of stupid questions but I did the same thing when I started brewing and now I can say with confidence I ask fewer stupid questions.

Have a good one.

Hey there and welcome.  Remember the really dumb question is the one you didn't ask.  I'm a total n00b and the guys here are great and have put up with my pestering and gave me really solid, useful information.  More than once it lead me to things I hadn't even thought of.  Do your research first, then ask if something doesn't make sense.  Good luck!

I don't like questions were we are supposed to read the mind of the asker to get all the details needed to answer it correctly.  We expect them to be ok playing with 2000 degF metal, dealing with explosive and toxic gasses, and possibly dangerous alloys; a meaningless question makes me wonder if we have chosen wisely.

Now I will post long detailed answers to good questions---even if I've done so 100 times already because I don't feel like I am casting information upon the rocks.

Mr. H. BOX,

Welcome to the site,

You will quickly run out of responses, should you badger the members with,  "... lots of stupid questions".

May I suggest that you put in a little time and industry reading some of the stickies, that may be found at the head of each topic.

For one reason you will glean a lot of basic information. And the second benefit is to learn some of the specific terms that smiths use.

Such information will allow you to ask more specific questions, for more useful answers.

Such questions will show us that you are serious, and we will be happy to make suggestions, and information.

They will of themselves not be stupid questions, but serious questions.

The membership are not paid, it is voluntary, but the people are very generous with their time and answers. Try us.

Again welcome to the site, stick around,    there is a lot of good will and good information here.

Regards,

SLAG.

Good Morning Hawk,

There are a lot of fine Blacksmith's in your town and close proximity. Talk to Shawn to find out where they get together, maybe they aren't right now.

Welcome from the left Coast, Vancouver Island Blacksmiths Association. Kootenay Blacksmith Association is quite active, one of the ladies just passed, might be a little down right now. Saskatoon Blacksmith Guild is always got something going. The group in your town were called Western Canadian Blacksmith Guild, Northern. Calgary were southern, Saskatoon were eastern (now they changed their name). There are a ton of very experienced people, close to you.

Neil