I Forge Iron

Mechanical projects.

Justin Topp

I was wondering if anyone had ideas for something mechanical but fairly simple to try making. That involves forging several parts. Some simple machine hooked to a motor would be interesting . Or just something involving several pivots. Examples of things I was thinking of was perhaps a gear puller, or dolphin jaw tongs. Maybe a lock. Really looking for things that can be powered with a motor for something useful. Even if it’s a basic use. Any ideas? 

Mobiles and pentatonic wind chimes come to mind. 

Careful about the wind chimes as they look simple. Materials are cheap, the proper build for the tone scale you want requires some research.  Some study will get you into a specific range of tone, and you will learn where to attach the hanging string for each pipe and more about nodes and null points that you can imagine.  Different material for the clapper make a large difference in the tones of the chimes.  The finished product sounded much better than anything you can buy in the store or garden center, and was much less expensive.

Knock knock Das, HELLO? I was joking about connecting door latches and hinges to a motor. :rolleyes: 

Before the accident we had a particularly nasty neighbor right below us. She thought we were being un-neighborly by not letting her claim as much of our property for her back yard as she wanted. Did a few truly obnoxious things as well. I considered making wind chimes for the property line made with RR rail with a windmill powered clapper. 

It would've been crazy, dangerous loud but was fun to think about. 

A pond, waterfall yard sculpture would look nice and you could build a dredge line type water lift. Thus satisfying mechanical AND motorized in as complex a device as you'd like. A screw lift with a clear tube would be cool to watch too.

Frosty the Lucky

It WAS?! :rolleyes: 

Why not indeed, I put motors on hinged boards when I want a simple clutch drive, my hardly used tumbler for example. Motor on a hinged board below, the pully goes over the 55 gal drum. 1 1/2" pully on the motor then over the drum makes for lots of reduction, almost enough for my liking, about 35rpm. I like under 30 rpm for a drum this size. You only want the material stirred, not flung around.

I suppose a person could use a door latch to tension the motor or lock it in on/off. 

Frosty the Lucky