I Forge Iron

Mokume from US nickels?

Chimaera

Thanks for the advice. I'd rather not mess with zinc as well. The gold dollar coins are a little expensive for me, so I'll probably stick with some copper pipe for now. I haven't really seen bronze for sale, anywhere. I really want to cast a bronze letter opener for my brother, and it would be good for mokume, so do you know where I could get that? Or would I have to make it with some copper and tin?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Cincinnati, "Metal Supermarkets", they list bronze.  513-942-8222. 4766 Dues Dr, Unit C.

Give them a call, the online contact links rarely work for small sales like us.

The search terms I used were, "Bronze sales, Cincinnati." I live in Alaska if you hadn't noticed. 

Frosty The Lucky.

For bronze try searching for "bronze for sale" for on line sellers.  Or buy bronze brazing rods either on line or anywhere selling welding supplies.  Some metal scrap and recycling dealers will sell what they have in small quantities.  Call them by phone, DO NOT rely on web sites or email.  I have bought new bronze at a metal recycling firm in Denver.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

COIN cidence?  I'm hearing the "Twilight Zone" theme now. You didn't name an orange tabby cat, "Mokume Gato," did you? 

A little time doing this stuff and some answers are top of everybody's list. 

G'night George, 

Frosty The Lucky.

Me too and the sun is perfectly willing to irradiate you here but you're so cold you don't notice it. You'd be amazed at the "sun"burns you see.  I could eat lunch in the shop too but it's in the single digits there too. I don't mind a cold lunch but I'd rather not need an ice pick.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fellow Denizens,

Up north,   the sun can be a serious problem.

The Inuit know all about sun blindness.  (and also how to cope with it),  (sun blindness glasses). Northern folks also cover up to protect themselves from sunburn.  The snow becomes a gigantic sun tan reflector.

With all those considerations I would trade Saint Louis, Missouri  for Fairbanks, Alaska,  or White Horse NWT  any day.

SLAG.

Speaking of inhumanly searing NM. Are you watching the: Leonids, Southern Taurids and Northern Taurids? I forgot to ask yesterday so more folks probably missed the penumbral eclipse of the moon. 

This is one busy November for sandblasting our planet. I'd really like to know what the surface conditions on the moon are like passing through cometary debris trails. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Just to bring the thread back from weather and astronomical excursions, silver, including coin silver and sterling silver can be included in mokume gane.  Silver should bind with copper very well and would give a nice contrast.  If you are starting with old sterling spoons and forks (make sure they are marked "sterling" or ".925", otherwise they are plate, probably over brass) you may have to melt and then beat or roll the ingot out to get a good blank for the stack.  My experience with forging silver is that it has a narrow window of forging heat between soft and melting, particularly with sterling.