I Forge Iron

What Do It Do?

Hello all.  I was cleaning out one of Dad's old toolboxes and found a treasure trove of good stuff.  Feather Shims, a big collection of taps and dies, an assortment of 5/8 and 11/16 box end wrenches, and a ton of punches of chisels.  I also found two of these and have no idea what they are.  each hole has a marking for diameter and is threaded on the inside.  I have no idea what these are used for.

20201112_125422[1].jpg

20201112_125358[1].jpg

Huh.  that would be it.  I don't have the other part though.  The tool  box I was clearing out was the equivalent of a box marked "misc."  Dad almost never threw anything out.  I found a Marlboro hard pack, before the surgeon generals warning, that had Vacuum tubes in it, when we started clearing the garage after he passed.  We also found a coffee can filled with bent nails.  It took my brother and I along with various nieces and nephews 2 days to sort through everything.  I now have tons of projects of things that dad had meant to fix or tinker with. 

Good to know I could use them as a riveting tool.  Thanks guys!  

Years ago I stopped by Mother and Dad's with my little Sister's espresso machine on the folk's old trailer. While Shan and I were closing the coffee maker in to protect it on the long road to Alaska Dad slid his old bottom and two top boxes in. When going through them I found a half smoked pack of Camel unfiltered amongst a raft of stuff other than machinist tools and instrumentation. One whole Kennedy top box was lathe cutters. 

It can be painful but going through the folks stuff after they've passed can be fun and interesting. I get the willies from remembering the racy love letter between Mom and Dad. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning Paul,

The Flaring Tool that is pictured will do single flare. There are small pieces that push into the end of the tubing, to start the double flare. With a bit of understanding that tool will also do bubble double flares.

I know, too much information. Putting a little Flare into your work!!

Neil

Information overload forgiven due to the pun!

I have two of them at the moment without the other half of the tool.  As far as I am concerned, forget flaring a tube, I'd rather use sharkbite connectors for plumbing and hire a mechanic for my car (since it usually ends up that way for me with all but the most simple auto repairs.  

Frosty, dad passed 3 years ago and stuff will still catch me sometimes.  I have a feeling he would have liked you guys.  It's funny when you come across stuff of theirs that was way before your time, and it can be really exciting when you find a use for it, kinda like that old iron slab that is now my anvil.  As a joke one time, he promised the boys (they were 12), the finest computer from when he was a kid.  They were all excited, then he handed them each a slide rule (his 'computer' from when he got his bachelors).  The look of confusion on their faces was priceless.  They still have the slide rules....

Awe, come on. Everyone needs the experience of messing up a double flare using that tool in a tight spot while laying under a car. Cut it off, make another one and it's perfect, only to realize you forgot to put the fitting on the tube first lol. 

There are still a few things I got from my grandfathers tool collection that I have no idea what they were for. Some of the other tools are still in use. Funny enough an old model T tire spoon and another old tire spoon come in handy at my day job doing bodywork. Didnt know it was for a model T until a coworker liked it and was interested in one. It has a pn. TT4069, so I looked it up and found out. 

That particular scenario never happened to me, but enough similar has, so I can certainly understand the pain.  it sounds like the fun of getting something tricky re-assembled and then finding that one extra screw or part, and realizing it was supposed to go on 2 hours back in the process.  such fun.

I'm  always fascinated by old tools.  It's a source of joy when you find one, then figure out how to use it.  Kind of like a tire spoon. :) Or the taps and dies when dad showed me how to use them years ago.  I now have a long term plan for those when I eventually progress to bladesmithing.  they will be useful  for hidden tang knives or doing stacked leather handles and such.