I Forge Iron

Thank you Veterans!

Frosty

President Wilson, 1919, 

"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…"

^ well said george. You do.

I have a hard time with this day, as I'd guess many of us may?

I get that its our day, and though many have thanked me... the best reply I have ever heard was "thank you for your support". But I've never really known how to respond.

What confuses me, and causes the hard time for me- is those friends, brothers and sisters... that didn't come home to have this day. But, unfortunately they have their day too.

Dear Welsh,

We all have our own ways of processing what has happened in our lives, both in and out of the military.  I have always been able to compartmentalize the good and bad things in my life and not let the bad things out of their boxes but there are people who are put together differently.  A difficult experience or trauma; combat, a bad divorce, an accident, the loss of someone close, etc., will effect, and often not in a good way, the rest of their lives.  That is not to say one response is better than the other.  That is just how different people are built.

I always quote this on Memorial Day but it is appropriate today and every day, too:

"They will not grow old, as we who are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, not the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them."

-Laurence Binyon 

One thing to recall for all veterans of all wars and all countries is that there is a bond that connects us together for the rest of our lives and possibly beyond.  Not everyone has that and it is something precious and something that can never be taken from us.  We came when called and served as best we could.  We are the few and we are justly proud.

The Anglo-Saxons called the man who served beside them in the shield wall "shoulder brother."  All vets are my shoulder brothers.  Think of what we have done and be a little proud.

George 

3 hours ago, Welshj said:

well said George. You do.

Welshj, I am bypassing reading this whole thread, and just focusing on you.  I am an undistinguished Cold War veteran, did three years, saw no combat, lost no military Brothers or Sisters. I have had unspeakable loss in my life, as a civilian, these losses from which I will never completely recover, nor would I ever want to. I will never let go of those whom I have lost, nor would I.  Hold those who have gone before you, close to your, heart, this is the only way to keep the love alive.

Just how I see it,

Robert Taylor

I will always be a Soldier, all trained up, and ready to go.

Edited by Anachronist58
Addendum