I Forge Iron

shoes or boots

I bought 4 pairs of German combat boots at a fleamarket in El Paso brand new. They had shut down the German training at Ft Bliss and sold off their PX stuff; well it turns out that few folks down there wear a 13EEE+ and so the guy had 4 pairs he couldn't sell---till I came along! US$3 a pair.  The unworn ones are for "Sunday Best" and gradually transition to shop wear and finally to nasty task wear.  I'm on set 3 for good wear right now.  (Used to wear them when I worked in Juarez, they were great for marching across the border each work day!)

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2020 at 9:37 PM, BsnNFrnt said:

Twisted X driving Mocs

I’ve seen those am been curious how well they hold up during regular use for work every day? 

I’ve worn combat boots when I was younger and then transisiond to heavy duty leather pull on work boots when I entered the civilian world, and been wearing them for over a decade 

but now even with fancy inserts an buyin a few pairs of new boots every year my feet are getting to the point I’m in pain like I got nails, needles an knives stickin in them

ive had a lot of local people tell me to buy the heydudes an they tell me they are really comfortable for all day wear

Ive ordered a couple pairs of the hey dudes to try them out,

but I’m curious how those twisted x hold up long term? They look heavier built then the heydudes

I NEVER buy footwear online, if your shoes don't fit you're going to hurt. My favorite boots ever were White's logger smoke jumpers, they're measured and custom made to fit your feet exactly. The trick to breaking them in without a little pain is to get them wet and walk them dry. It'll turn your feet orange but they're fit like a coat of paint. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I always bought my boots in store at atwoods where I could try them on an make sure they fit, that’s not helping anymore..

Now the light weight shoes I’ve ordered I didn’t go in store for,

I just ordered them, they have a return policy and a try before you buy deal if you choose to go that route, but they were cheap enough I just ordered I couple pairs,

I gotta drive a ways to get to a real shoe or boot store…

I ordered the whites catalogue last year, they look like high quality boots but no one carries them around here for me to go check out, an they are to expensive to gamble on 

plus I’m looking to try out light shoes right now not really looking for boots,

my shoes or boots I wear all day everyday in the shop an around the property doin work, not just for blacksmithing 

at this point I’m interested in anything other then flip flops an crocs that will give me some relief and still be half way durable and light weight, 

I got hurt over seas and the problems are really starting to kick me in the backside these last few years, after doctors, chiropractors, X-rays, MRIs ect…

I’m ready to just use boots for foul weather and find something more comfortable for the rest of the time

I had shin and back pain from improper arch supports (specifically recommended by Dr, no less) and someone suggested I try the zero drop minimalist shoes. Seemed a total 180 from what I was *supposed* to do but I figured it was worth a try. Ordered a pair of Xero shoes on clearance 3 years ago, decided I'd wear them for a few months to make my decision. I've never looked back and no more pain. It's insane. 

What I wear now, I can't find anymore. They are wool with a thin rubber sole. I can feel the cracks and bumps in the ground below me. 

So what I'm looking for are a leather version of that. They don't seem to exist in stores. I've found a few online but I need to check the return policy before I buy so I can send back if they aren't what I want. 

I damaged the tendon on the bottom of my foot, that attaches to the heel, and had a lot of trouble for 3 years until I bought a pair of Danner boots. The first pair were 8” leather/cordura construction and were like wearing tennis shoes. My foot stopped hurting after a month. All my work boots are Danner and my tennis shoes are Merrill

I am a fan of White’s packers (they have very high arches but generally wheare a good quality cowboy with a riding heal. I have seen disasters with horses and steel toed boots (a mare with an additude can stomp a steel toe down around your toes) the smothish soaps and the ability to slip them off makes the Missus happy (well I think if I undressed and showers outside she would be happier…)

I haven't looked on the White's site in years but at that time they had clear detailed directions for measuring your own feet and how to make a tracing so you get boots that fit correctly. 

If I were still riding I'd want White's Packers too, they're good on the ground as well in a stirrup.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well so far my $35 dollar heydudes have worked in the repair shop 2 days,

carb cleaner, welding, messin with machinery, messin with fire wood an even a little bit of forge work an a trip to the salvage yard, :o

an my feet are enjoying the memory foam insoles and thick fome soles! :wub:

we will see how long they actually hold up doin all that though! Lol

im hoping to get 3 months rotating 2 pairs,

They better be the gold standard.  Their website lists their linesmen's boot starting at $650 and peaking at $810.  Don't get me wrong, they look fantastic, but I can't see spending that kind of money on boots.  I struggled with $160 for my last pair of OXO boots, and that was just because I wear size 14...

Twisted Willow - the driving Mocs have made it about 3 years now. Full disclosure at most 15 hours a week, I am a weekender at best. 
I have been through 3 pairs of laces, but the laces would last longer if I wore jeans. I usually wear shorts which exposes the laces more -  it’s west Texas.