I Forge Iron

My first JABOD.

JPaul

So this is my JABOD that I built the other day.  I will be picking up a proper pipe tomorrow and repacking it, but I shamelessly utilized the Mark III Jabod fire pot design and fired it up today.  Utilizing charcoal as my fuel source I have quickly learned that I need to increase the amount of fuel I have on hand.  I then made about a 5 gallon pail full of charcoal for my next forging day, and have prepped wood cubes to add as I forge, which is what I did this afternoon.  I'm using a bed inflator as an air source and aimed it indirectly as mentioned in many threads.  It was a good initial learning day today and am looking forward to more.  Also made my first tool today.....a simple coal rake out of re bar.20201016_152652_HDR.thumb.jpg.1646e4ef11d2b674ee8371f9591ded58.jpg

20201016_151308_HDR.jpg

20201016_151322_HDR.jpg

I went and picked up some hot rolled steel bars today of various sizes for the next projects.  The rebar piece was just something laying around to muck about with.  Next projects will likely be a hot dog stick.  I saw a YouTube video by the "Essential Craftsman" where he made one and it's piqued my interest.

Toasting forks and steak flippers are good starting projects. Long handled fire tools for the outdoor fire pit are good as well. Garden tools are a good intermediate step and don't forget the Mrs. will love anything you make for Her. 

Rebar is okay in it's place and even makes good forged items if you have the time to deal with the texture and occasional changes in properties. They make excellent tent stakes, they don't pull out easily. Many years ago I used #5 rebar to pin logs together building a log cabin. I was helping but with some of my other than logging type skills. 

I forged a point on a piece of rebar about 2x the thickness of the log and put a heavy coat of paint on it. Then we drilled a 1/2" hole almost 2x the thickness of the log through then into the next one down. We mixed up a golf ball sized ball of Bondo, rolled it into a snake dropped it in the hole and drove the rebar spike till it was flush with the log. We pinned all the corners with rebar and offset coarses so the pins didn't hit the next one down.

Sorry for the ramble but rebar IS useful, just not really so much for general blacksmithing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The upside to that being left alone in your shop. I found blowing black boogers did it when Deb decided to drop in to see what was going on. 

Deb likes the leaf finial: key fobs, coat hooks and the courting candle holder. Of course she turned the candle holder upside down with the handle off the edge of a shelf and hangs stuff from it. So long as she likes it's a win.

Don't worry, smoke and noise now will turn into products in no time. I'm sure she's a patient lady, VERY. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

My Pastor likes bonfires, big bonfires. He also likes making smores with such large bonfires. So I made him a 5' long toasting fork out of fairly light stock and a Y holder he can drive in near the fire to place it on.  I figured he didn't need to practice for close up fire exposure in the after life anyway...