I Forge Iron

Bought myself a Hofi Hammer, got a couple questions.

JW513

I bought an official  Hofi Hammer this week. The forged, not cast one. I’m still an amateur, but I always wanted to try one and he’s getting up there in age. Also they seem to hold their value. It’s beautiful,. But my one complaint, is the face isn’t really dressed. Now I now that blacksmiths prefer to dress their own hammer faces to suit their own needs but I was looking forward to getting one professionally dressed. Mainly because I now would have a standard of a properly dressed crosspein hammer. Now the edges aren’t too sharp so maybe this is how a Hofi hammer is supposed to be. Just wondering if this is how Hofi the hammers are supposed to be. Thanks

C458A566-757D-4140-9363-673A4274EBCB.jpeg

1863F216-84A7-44A1-BBCB-54964AF61428.jpeg

It looks nice to me. I'm sure it'll be a joy to use. 

I think more people would be upset if he dressed all of the hammers to his liking. Like you said, most people prefer to dress their own. There doesn't seem to be much needed there, try it as is (maybe just a little touch up here and there), if you find there are unwanted hammer marks, dress it a little more and so on until you're happy with it. Then it's your standard going forward.

While there is arguably a wrong way to dress your hammer face, there isn't really a one size fits all "right" or "professional" way, IMO. 

I agree in all particulars with Frazer's post.  Just to add though:  the edges of the face on a Hofi hammer aren't supposed to be sharp (or on any properly dressed hammer IMHO).  If you look into his hammering technique you will find that he advocates use of these edges as directional fullers (by striking with an appropriately angled hammer head), and sharp edges would make this too aggressive an action.  I'd try it for a bit and see how it works for you.  You can always dress it to suit your style as required.

• 2 months later...

I've read a few post here about the Hofi hammers and now I see a photo finally.  My grandfather used to have several hammers just like these, but i didn't realize what they were.   I used one to beat down the corner of a new brick doorway he had built and then he did some beating of his own.  

I've read that these have different qualities from the other designs and it sounds intriguing.  Where does one buy this style hammer, and now that I suppose you've had some time with it, how do you like it compared to other designs?

Hammers have been used for many hundreds or thousands of years.  This lead to many different designs for the jobs at hand.  Machinist, mechanics,farriers, tin smiths, stone masons, and blacksmiths each have their own hammer design.  If there were one perfect design everyone would have THAT design.

There are features that blacksmiths prefer in their craft, the hammer face size and shape, such as a crowned face to help eliminate hammer marks on the metal, or peens such as straight, cross, diagonal, ball or round, etc.  One hammer will not fit all the different types of work.  Choose the design for the project at hand. 

Grandpa had 2 main tools he kept in his hand at all times a good hammer or a good leather belt, to be used when i "used" his tools. Like when i used a bell hanger for a pry bar, or left the coping saw in the yard and he ran it over with the lawn mower. I could go on but i would guess that we all here have stories of the well deserved  beatins we got from grandad. But no where near as bad as when grandma would make ya cut a switch. 

To the OP; now that you've had a bit of time with this type of hammer, what are your thoughts on how it feels to you to use, compared to other styles of hammers that you've got experience with.

I'm still not certain that this is the hobby for me as I have a bunch of logistical problems in the way.  That may in fact be a good thing because I'll wade in slower rather than my usual getting carried away. I've now tried three styles of hammer and found the French style the most comfortable.  I don't trust that experience at all however, because most good personal fits require proper techniques, which i don't possess.  

The school doesn't have a Hofi hammer and thus my heightened interest in feedback from any of those in the know. I'm starting to think that very small differences in design of hammer, of the handle and also weight, are important considerations.

• 5 weeks later...

It's a nice hammer, it hasn't magically made me a better smith. But i always was curious..  I'm glad a bought it, and i feel it was worth the money.  

If you have the cash, buy it... Also the ONLY experience you can trust is your self. Listen to others but if the French style feels good in YOUR hand, thats all that matters.  I still don't have a lot of experience forging but i'll compare it to my guitar playing..

I've stupidly bought a lot of guitars over the years, but the only reason i've learned whats felt right to me and what hasn't felt right by trying different guitars. Same can be said for many different applications.