I Forge Iron

Iron Bloom for History Class

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the difference between the US gallon and Imperial gallon!  45 imperial gallons is 54 US gallons which sounds a lot like a 55 gallon barrel to me!

Anybody want to crash a *VERY* expensive machine on a different planet's surface because they don't take UNIT differences into account!

52 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Anybody want to crash a *VERY* expensive machine on a different planet's surface because they don't take UNIT differences into account!

I believe Air Canada pilots practiced that one successfully in a 767 during the SAE to metric change. Dead sticked a Boeing 767 onto a decommissioned air base during a weekend swap meet. Dubbed the "Gimli Glider," it was one of those truly awesome examples of flying out there.

Oh, yeah it ran out of fuel, instead of kilos it got x pounds from the truck and was mismarked on the paperwork. 

Frosty The Lucky.

One of my first jobs in International Field Support at Bell Labs was to correlate what our specs were with a set of European standards.  The one that I remember best was: we spec'd  the system to work over an altitude range and the European standard was in kilopascals  (a pascal is one newton per square meter as we all know!)  I had to work that one from both ends to finally get something I could compare.  Lots of fun; we even had a spec for sedimentation rate of dust.---though installing a system in Jakarta Indonesia I noticed the lizards in the machine room and wondered if we had a spec for "wildlife".)

I'm a traditionalist: "filet of fenny snake, eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog, adder's fork and blindworm's sting, lizard's leg and howlet's wing"   It's basically a toned down version of Kickapoo Joy Juice, ("an elixir of such power that the fumes alone have been known to melt the rivets off battleships.")

• 2 weeks later...

So the ground's about to freeze... I won't get an actual bloomery done until the spring probably. I still don't have everything I need for my retort, and I have to admit I was fairly lazy.

Written report it is, on the same subject. However I need "valid" sources now. You guys are reluctantly being considered as one source, a local friend of mine as another... I made a youtube playlist of the majority of the videos I've watched of smiths making or refining iron, however I don't think I'm allowed to use that as a source, since they could be invalidating what they're saying... what's your opinion on that? Black Bear forge, Torbjörn Åhman, Joey van der Steeg, as well as a few others, who are well known to be awesome... in your opinion, would they be a trusted source?

This may be helpful.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0305440310004449

This book is chock-full of good info but pricey. Maybe find it at your local public or university library. "Tales of the Iron Bloomery (Northern World) 

Bert Rundberget  ISBN 978-9004278790 hope it helps with citations etc 

Pnut

"The Mastery and Uses of Fire in Antiquity", Rehder could be a source.

Can you find any published proceedings from the Iron Masters conferences?  I had friends who presented on 10 years of Scandinavian Short Stack Bloomery experiments at one of the conferences.

Medieval Iron in Society; papers presented at they symposium in Norberg

Metallurgy in Archeology, R.F. Tylecote

Early Iron and Steel in Sri Lanka, Gillian Juleff; perhaps as a compare and contrast source for other areas?

Rick Furrer smelts ore in a bloomery, refines to finished swords. He's been featured on the Discovery Channel. "The Viking Sword" I think. He reproduced the Uthbert sword. (spelling is from memory and probably wrong.)

I believe JPH has made bloomery iron and refines it finished blades as well. Could be wrong though.

They're both members here, give them a shout and ask. You can search them out and send a PM. That way nobody can feel put on the spot.

Citing me as a reliable source would NOT be correct, I just read a lot I've never participated with or watched a bloom. 

Unless you need something just made up I'm pretty good at that. I'll confess immediately if called on it though.

Frosty The Lucky.