I Forge Iron

Frazer's Corner of the Internet [photo heavy]

Stopped by and checked it out today. No markings I saw on the blower or the forge, but both are in great shape! No cracks or damage to the firepot/pan, fully operational clinker breaker and ash dump, (the clinker breaker is a rotating ball and not the ball that moves up and down, but I don't see why that would be a problem), tuyere all looks good. The blower operates smoothly, spins very freely, and displaces lots of air. Looked at all the fan blades with a flashlight and while I couldn't see everything in there through the air intake, but all the blades looked fine and unbent. She's quite stout, going to need to bring some help to get her loaded in the trailer.

The hood is just bolted on so that will be removed and I'll be putting a super sucker in it's place.

She's going to stay there until I close on the house since he lives ~10 minutes from the new house and ~45 mins from where I am now. One less thing to store, pack up and need to move.

Ended up paying $360 for it and he threw in a couple buckets of coal, not that I need more coal, but it'll get used. I would say it was a steal of a deal at that price. The guy selling it started smithing a while ago, did it for a while then took a break and decided he wanted to go with a gas forge when he starts up again. He was happy to get rid of it so I think he would have gone lower, but considering the price and condition of everything I'm happy.

The anvil in the background he wants to keep. No markings on it at all that I saw, but it was tucked away in the corner with a bunch of other stuff. It was just a little guy, maybe 70-80 pounds just taking a guess looking at it. It looked to be maybe be cast? It was too corroded to do a good ball bearing test on. Anyway, he seemed like a nice guy and when I move I may have found someone else to forge with. A win win.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya' done good on this one.  I will bet that he will eventually regret giving up the coal forge.  I find that there are things a coal forge will do that a gasser won't and vice versa.  Don't trash the hood.  Even if you don't use it it should go with the forge when it moves on from you.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

Well, fortunately we will live pretty close so he will still get to use it. Still, he may, but he seemed pretty relieved at the moment to be rid of it. He does a lot more woodworking now so he wanted to clear up space in his shed for those projects. 

I definitely wont be getting rid of the hood. I'm glad it's only bolted on and not riveted since I really didn't want to damage it in order to take it off. 

I am a fan of coal personally. I'll probably make a gas forge at some point as, like you said, they do have some benefits over coal. I just find coal does everything I need at this point so I really don't feel a big drive to make one and tune it and have one more thing to fiddle around with at the moment.

Should I be lining this pan with clay once I get it set up? 

---Other updates--- 

Used the knives to carve the Thanksgiving turkey this year. They will indeed cut. 

2020_1127_201631_001.JPG.b932ce05bfca3adc69719c201c8ff528.JPG

Watching one of Mark Aspery's videos I made some stag horn plates that will be put as a decorative backing behind a railing. The big one was just practice made from 2"x3/16" flat stock, the smaller ones are 1.5"x 3/16" and I haven't tapered down the section for the lower face yet. I'm going to wait until I get confirmation of how long they need to be before doing so.

2020_1127_201759_003.JPG.2a73bfbea850707c545342620e5e93e1.JPG2020_1127_201745_002.JPG.f44bf3629d672c5d64dab8d694d305b3.JPG

I also stopped by a known scrap pile and acquired ~20' of 1" square tubing (should be handy for hardy shanks and just generally speaking) and maybe 10-15" of 1" rebar. I don't usually mess around with rebar, but I have heard the larger stuff is sometimes a higher grade than the small stuff. Not sure that's true, but when offered it for free I can't really say no..

2020_1127_202036_006.JPG.6b7413a700a4038916f387a27ddcc9aa.JPG2020_1116_165210_002.JPG.ff34313cb853ab7303eb6e1f6f5118ec.JPG

Finally I acquired this behemoth of a pipe wrench. I have no use for it whatsoever, but again, when offered for free I'm going to say yes. I bet this thing would be a couple hundred bucks to buy new. The thing is almost comically large.

2020_1127_201944_005.JPG.0d694c9eab3489b943fade2912164ad6.JPG

I just noticed I put the nut on wrong when I put it back together :facepalm:

Edited by Frazer
spelling

No fooling Frazer, you're NOT supposed to have your nuts on the wrong side.  Is that a 36" rigid? I pulled a 36 for 20 years breaking drill casing when pulling off a hole. WE had a 48" pipe wrench but nobody wanted to pick it up let alone use it so a 36 and cheater it was. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It is 36", I don't see any branding on it. Just "Drop Forged" and "Made in Spain" on the hook jaw. 

That 48 incher must have been ridiculous. This one isn't crazy heavy, but I say that not after lugging it around and wrenching on it for 8 hours in less than ideal conditions. Pipe wrenches of this size I'm guessing are really intended for industrial applications and not for home gamers.

Hook jaws are wear items, you change them when the teeth get dull or they slip. Nobody owning a 36 is just tugging and having the wrench slip off when you're in full blown pull your arms off pull is less fun than being one of the three stooges. 

The pipe wrenches hung on hooks on the leveling jacks of the drill rig we rarely lugged one farther than to and from the tool box. We mostly used 24s and that's more pipe wrench than most home owners will ever use. 

The 48 was bought by the office geologist who noticed the handles on the 36s were bending from using cheaters on them. He stopped by the operation to see how much better we liked it than the old bent up 36s so we sent him to get it out of the tool box. . . Two day later we had a $250 aluminum 48. Talk about bend the handle! An extra 12" of handle does NOT equate to a 4' cheater pipe. 

Office report writing geologists lack a field guy's perspective of what excessive force means. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Were the 36" ones steel? I feel like a 36" steel wrench with a cheater > 48" aluminum wrench with a cheater.

Not that I have any experience as a field guy, other than interning with a mechanical contractor for a summer, but I do know that a lot of tools are used and abused in the field. There's no way you're bending the handle on this thing without using a cheater. . or tying the end of the handle to your truck and giving it a little 8 cylinder mechanical advantage. I don't care how strong you are.