I Forge Iron

Fulcrum , bellows physics, proportion

natkova

Bellows move sideway becasue i used threads for metal instead of wood.

fin.jpg

So those shiny metal rods tend to go sideways sometimes. Or frame will go a ltile bit left (not this on picture) but frame tend to go a litle bit left.

23 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Why does your bellows move sideways? I don't have much experience using large bellows but the ones I have were mounted solidly. The center board extended beyond the leather and was screwed or nailed to the wall. You would've had to break the bellows or part of the wall to make them move to the side. If your bellows AND the pump handle are moving sideways it's no wonder it injures your shoulder. 

Bracing your bellows between the two posts must prevent it from moving freely so I don't see how it can keep them from moving side to side. If the whole frame is moving then you need to do something different. 

Yes, you have to balance the lever arm so it will return or you won't be able to pump the bellows. If the treadle board is too heavy use a lighter one. 

That last seems pretty obvious to me. It's exactly the same as any balance beam: scales, teeter totter, etc. 

Frosty The Lucky.

120043025_4604434946264462_7288138409737

This left beam  tend to move a litle bit to left and those rods  sometimes move a little  bit to left too.

Does the center board extend out the back? If so you could screw it directly to the wall. If nothing else reinforce or rebuild the frame so it doesn't move sideways. Having everything moving sideways has got to be hard on your shoulders.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Does the center board extend out the back? If so you could screw it directly to the wall. If nothing else reinforce or rebuild the frame so it doesn't move sideways. Having everything moving sideways has got to be hard on your shoulders.

Frosty The Lucky.

I fixed made thred inserted in one piece of metall, and used vires, i think it dont move now thats ehy it used to move.

If so i can put weight on frame.

Here are bellows with foot board in action, i will see will i use this system it is not bad but it does not feel like when zou operate then by hand

• 1 year later...

Iam moving thread to this. Mods can delete it if they want if it is unnesesary on "vises".

I got idea.

I will do something that i think nobady did in history.  I will mount two  double lung bellows to work in one tuyere.

Why?

Because i have smaller one that is siting for two years in dust.

IMG_20200111_150956.jpg

I think i will make some experiment to see how it will work.
Big frame should be made and one lever that branches to two lever so they pull two chains /ropes wich lift bottom boards of bellows.

Well I think I will rename this thread to mounting bellows vise and probably anvil 

I think I will soon get anvil one that is not railroad.  That one that have horn and hardy hole lol 

Well I would need help and moral support on this mess.

Here it is how it looks on attic of old barn that explain hay  grains  and mess everywhere.

Bellows are suspended on wall and on rope just for seeing how it will look together everything.

I must admit I will miss seeing top chamber getting inhales near forge.

Stay tuned i hope this help someone , i can learn something and someone can learn from my mistakes or experiments how i like to call it.

But iam sure i can mount two dobule lung bellows to work at same time, it will be good for air backflow (sucking air from forge too)

I will make them to go to one tuyere 3/4 from smaller one will be welded into or plastic cord can be used and put into 2 inches pipe wich go from main bigger bellows to forge.

Now i think leverage wont matter where i put smaller one if i follow and aling bellows hooks and if rope pull them side by side at same distance.

IMG_20220604_222243.jpg

IMG_20220604_222220.jpg

IMG_20220604_222215.jpg

No i am not. Well i think i will use just one bellows.
But would have to come with mechanism wich push bottom board with some joints , instead pulling it by rope  or chain becasue there will be going "arm" under board wich will push board.

Classical rope type wont work in this way because you will have lever on attic wich have to be pulled by rope downstairs.

I find it bettter when lever is sticking from top of the floor.

It wont be easy.

So far so good 

This clunnsy setup us because I want to see image forn head to object 

Now it t will work in this principle 

Bellows mounted at attic , need to do some fine wood joinery and some more work, but it's too hot and dirty to so any successfully efficient work .

I found some scraps from previous projects to see just how it will work .

IMG_20220605_181052.jpg

IMG_20220605_180829.jpg

IMG_20220605_181144.jpg

And bellows moved 4 inches up where there were locat do.

Lesson learned , don't always do stuff people tell you to do in internet.

They were at attic but it was uncomfortable to work with , just was bad idea.

Bellows moved to previous place just lifted up 10 cm or more 4 inches or like 6 .

IMG_20220612_205358.jpg

IMG_20220612_205405.jpg