I Forge Iron

First gas forge build and NARB

Are we all typing at the same time? I was rereading what I'd posted and your preceding post and realized you were already doing what I was talking about. Please disregard, you seem to have a good handle on the thing. 

Give me a shout if you run into problems.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I'm building a 1/2" Frosty T that I'll use to power the NARB... the bell is just to help keep the flame from blowing off in the vice (since I don't have a gas forge to tune the burner in) so what I'm trying to figure out is if that will get me close enough for the NARB or should I try to find a chunk of pipe or something similarly sized to the forge I'm planning to put it in for the initial tuning of the burner.  

19 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

you're running 1/8" holes on your drilled IFB correct?

That is correct.    However, I did manage to turn the first IFB burner head into a partially vitrified mass after having it at forge welding heat for several hours.   I'm still on the second one now, but I think I'm starting to see signs of degradation. If I run it at welding temps for a while and then try to go back down to forging temps it starts to burn inside the plenum in a little while.  I'm not sure about the actual number of holes and I did slightly enlarge a few of them since I felt that there was too much flame lift when first lit in the forge.

The short version is it's still kind of a work in progress, but I probably won't try to make any more improvements until this one fails or I have to do a major forge overhaul.  Unfortunately I got a little sloppy with some flux and a portion of my forge floor will probably need refurbished in the fairly near future.

Overall though, the NARBs I have made which are powered by a 1/2" Frosty T (modified) have worked out well for me in my small forge(s).  I don't foresee ever going back to a single port burner at this point.  The reduction in noise is enough incentive for me even if there were no other benefits - and there are.

I can't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head.   The floor is flat and I think about 9 inches side to side in the forge chamber.   I believe I have about 4.5 inches from floor to the apex of the curved shell and it's around 10 inches long. I've gotten to the point where I try to make my forges as small as I can for what I do.   I make blades more than anything else, so I don't usually need a lot of extra space inside.