I Forge Iron

Unusual hood

natkova

What the esteemed Mr. Powers said above...only louder.

The typical simple overhead hood seems like a good idea but in practice, most find them to be rather a failure in terms of handling the smoke and fumes (some, a total failure).  Super sucker on the other hand appears to be pretty remarkable when done to spec.  I've seen images where you would swear that thing would be useless, but basically sucking every bit of smoke away and even sucking up the forge fire a bit.  The only one I've personally seen kept an insulated pole building garage totally smoke free, even with the doors and windows shut in the winter (though it'd be wise to make sure there is plenty of make-up air available as well as a working CO monitor).

I've no experience with a super sucker. I have experience in other shops with side draft. For your icebox hood, and most any chimney, use 12" flue pipe and you should have no problem. I don't know what's recommended for a super sucker.

Also, in the U.S., we can get single wall stove pipe that comes flat. You lock the sides together by hand, to make it a pipe. It's cheap, but 12" is always more expensive than two pieces of 6" locked into one 12" piece.

The important thing about a super-sucker is that the opening between the hood and the fire needs to have a smaller area than the opening between the hood and the flue. This creates an area of localized low pressure that pulls the smoke into the hood and up the flue. It's not just a square box.