I Forge Iron

Hey all!

I just started forging a few days ago and I need some advice before I do something to my forge.

It's a single burner propane forge built from a helium tank (think Party City, the ones you can buy) with a kaowool liner.

I'm torn between a refractory cement layer on the kaowool, and a steel cylinder about 4-5 inches in diameter.  Would this steel inner wall help keep the heat better than the refractory cement?

Thanks all!

Welcome aboard Jason, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a chance to meet up with members within visiting distance. Networking with other smiths is a GOOD thing, every hour working with an experienced smith is worth many more hours even days of trying to figure it out yourself.

Ditto IDF&C regarding refractory cement or mortar they are NOT suitable for direct flame contact, especially not propane flame. Use the steel pipe for something else, it's almost worse than nothing. 

There are proven plans and directions on Iforge for building propane forges and burners. It's best to pick one and just follow it. Leave modifications and "improvements" until you've used it a while and develop your smithing skills.

Frosty The Lucky.