I Forge Iron

Anyone know of any good exoxy?

Virusds

"Cheap" and "Epoxy" are not usually found together.

I use G-Flex from West Systems, but some other makers that I look up to have stopped using it in favor of Acraglas which is a rifle bedding epoxy.

Just remember even really great epoxy isn't a substitute for a well executed glue joint design.

Somewhere on here we have a supplier list.

I've used the double syringe style 5 minute epoxy you can get from big box stores on some handles.  IMO the fit is critical.  If your pieces fit up nicely and you have a few pins for mechanical connection in addition to the adhesive to me it doesn't seem that the epoxy is that critical.  Lately I've been using 15 minute epoxy I got from Pop's Knife Supply.   I haven't noticed a significant difference in the outcomes with any of the expoxies I've used.  I moved away from the 5 minute stuff so I don't feel I have to rush to get everything in place and clamped before it sets though.

As a general rule for 2 part epoxy adhesives, the faster the set time the weaker the bond. 5 min. vs. 15. vs 30. minutes is the SET time, not cure time. You can adjust set times by how much catalyst you use but don't get silly. G-flex's name states one of it's prime advantages for things like knives, it can flex some without breaking. 

That's just FYI re epoxy or other 2 part adhesive. Fit is more important than virtually anything else next to material strength. No: fit, pins, glue, etc will help of the tang breaks off or the leaves split. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...