I Forge Iron

Stake tool?

Yeah I figure if I can get accurate with a hammer on this little thing it will probably improve my skill with a full size anvil. Although I've already had some mis strikes on the regular anvil and it didn't seem to notice, accuracy is probably a fundamental skill to strive for.

Hammer control is just a matter of practice. . . GOOD practice that is. Learn to read how your hammer is impacting the work by the crescent shaped dents made by the edges. The open end is opposite the way the hammer was tilted when it struck. 

This is also how you determine an anvil height that suits you. Lay a thin piece of wood on the anvil face and assuming your normal stance give it a whack. If the dent in the wood is uniform then the hammer is striking parallel with the anvil's face. Good. If it's deeper towards you, (heeling) the anvil is too high. If on the far side(toeing) it's too low. That's heel and toe like your foot, your heel is closer than your toe. Yes? If it's deeper on the left or right, that's the direction the hammer is turning in your hand, In = towards you, or out = away from you.

Just be careful not to swing full strength blows near the edges to avoid chips. Stick to the sweet spot in the center and you aren't going to do the anvil much if any damage. Poor hammers. :(

You should see what a hard missed blow on my Soderfors does to an expensive Diamond turning hammer. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

For some incomprehensible reason, I decided to mention that at 3:18 in a video titled "Forging a hardy tool bolster from extra heavy tubing" by John Switzer of Black Bear Forge for Youtube, I see him hold up a tool that is identical to the one this thread is for. He calls it a drift, and intends to use it to make a square hole. That's all. Don't know why I posted. Don't imagine it matters. I'm going back to watching the video now. I really enjoy his videos. Seems a very genuine fellow.