I Forge Iron

Daswulf is in the hospital

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With my belly slash surgeries I had a lot of trouble with adhesions. First time I jumped down from my small imported pickup afterwards I thought I was going to have to go back to the Dr!

"It only hurts when I laugh." really starts to make sense after something like this!  Luckily most blacksmith jokes are more groaners than laughers!

It was a chore to get into my jeep at work when I finally admitted to myself that this was something serious and I headed to the dr. office. Then really a chore to get back in it after the dr. sent me to the ER. (Yeah, they just let me go myself.) Finally made it after vomiting a few times. It was not a good experience. 

Got a ride home and haven't gotten in my jeep yet but I sure wont be jumping out of it any time soon. Tring to take it easy no matter how I move. Again still lucky I got 3 small incisions rather than one large one. 

I can handle a groan or chuckle. I should avoid belly busters tho. 

Das,

Before I had an operation for an abdominal (I'm so tempted to spell it an abominable ... ), hernia,  The surgeon prescribed a "belly band" to forestall any more muscle tear. 

Wearing one will stabilizes your sutures against any bell laughs or sneezes.

It worked like a charm for me.

Ring him/her up and request that a pharmacy procure one for you. They may even have several in their office,  (surgery).

Take it easy so you'll heal up well in good time.

SLAG.

Leaping LIzards! Deb and I take a few days for a little RV trip to Denali and you get yourself hospitalized! What were you thinking Das?!  I'm relieved to see you're out and healing up at home. Are the girls nursing you up? 

Sorry you missed the trip to the mountains too, that's where Deb and I went. We had spectacularly good weather, the only place it was cloudy was in McKinley park, on the mountain. There we got rain, snow, sleet, sun, wind, darn near everything. The drive to Denali was sunny and clear, the only drawback was road construction. We spent about 90 minutes wending our way through. 

I'm not going to bloat the forum with a bunch of pics, I haven't gone through them all yet. However below is from the turn out just before you drop down into Talkeetna and one of the most spectacular views of Denali anywhere. The bear is the only wildlife we say outside of a couple squirrels and maybe a marmot.  road kill doesn't count. Yogi was trying to cross the highway without becoming roadkill, I shot this as we rolled past slowly so as not to spook it into panicking. 

Frosty The Lucky.

62300426_BigMac_01.JPG.34cb16da5ae5a7cdf5087112d5702295.JPG

1200258554_Bbear01.JPG.3a7239ac4b63fec3cc3d6ef21d4bec6a.JPG

When I had emergency Gall bladder surgery and an eight inch belly scar, they wanted me to cough every time the nurses checked on me. Holding a pillow over the staples helped some.  Trying to figure out what I must have done in a prior life helped some too.

Frosty did you make it to the top?

Thanks Frosty, That is a great view. I'll have to reschedule for another weekend after I'm healed up if I can.  I'm really missing forging and getting to pick up my daughters. 

Thomas, I'd have really been questioning the reasoning to be tortured like that. 

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty did you make it to the top?

Been on top so long I don't remember what being average was like. 

I'll post some more pics for you Master Slag. Have you a preference: mountains, geologic formations, gold, yellow, orange leaves, etc?

There's a rather famous embroidered bill cap that says, Mt. Denial. Deb and I looked for one in the shops we stopped at but couldn't find one. 

You bet Das, if you knew how a bear reacts to something that spooks it :o you'd be careful too. The way it's standing in the pic isn't a natural posture, it was pretty stressed and sort of doing a little dance, left right left right. Truth is I don't like seeing animals frightened, fear aggression is the most difficult to deal with in anything.  However, if wildlife is so afraid of the highway they watch until there's nothing coming before crossing I'm good with that. Really good. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Herr Frosty (esq.),

Thank you for your courteous response.

What do I fancy?

Mountains, geology, winter,  (snow etc.) the cold, partial isolation, nature. sea shores,  etc. etc.

Colorful leaves I saw plenty of in Que., Ont., and new England. But still enjoy.

Were I situated closer by,   we could get up to real mischief,  but I am too old to relocate down North.

( thanks for the offer).

Regards,

to all,

SLAG.

"Down North":  since the earth does bulge around the equator; Northern areas are closer to the center of the earth and so "down" WRT more southern areas. (The bulge may be counteracted by surface features for a while but as you head poleward the bulge becomes a bigger factor than the odd mountain range!)

T. P.* et al.,

Most of the northern Canadian rivers flow north downhill to the arctic , or Hudson's Bay.

(indeed the St. Lawrence river flows north east to the Atlantic Ocean).

For example, 

The Mackenzie river flows north to the Beaufort Sea.

The Yukon river to the Bering sea,

The Nelson and Churchill rivers to Hudson bay,

and the Albany and La Grande rivers flow north to James Bay (part of Hudson's Bay).

The phrase "down north" is commonly used, by people in the the north of provinces**, and territories .

It confuses most other people in that looking at a map people assume that rivers flow south to the bottom of the map.

SLAG.

* thank you for your insight.

** Alta, B.C., Sask., Ont. Que. 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:11 AM, ThomasPowers said:

When I had emergency Gall bladder surgery and an eight inch belly scar, they wanted me to cough every time the nurses checked on me. Holding a pillow over the staples helped some.

I had exactly the same experience/results when I was in the USAF.  I didn't have staples, but LARGE stitches...lots of them.  My belly looked like an NFL football.  I asked one of the docs why such large stitches?  He said the officers get small stitches, the enlisted men get large stitches.  Forum rules prevent me from quoting what I told him..."sir".  They monitored our bile output in a bag.  One guy was not producing enough bile so they drained his bag into a beaker and had him drink it to help his digestion.....ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I almost puked over that.

Slag; having lived on the east coast of the USA; I don't recall ever thinking that rivers flowed south, they flowed east to the ocean.  My friends on the west coast say they flow west to the ocean.  Tis only the folks living in the area drained by the Mississippi that tend to think of rivers flowing south.  Oh Look where Slag's located said Tom Swift Archly...

arkie, like "the soldier in white" in Catch-22, with one bottle dripping clear liquid into an IV and another bottle receiving clear liquid from a catheter, where when one bottle is full and the other empty, they just switch the bottles?

(Bringing it back to the hospital theme.)

Mr. Powers Sir,

I ended up in St. Louis after remarrying almost a decade ago.

Marg, (The Marvelous), grew up in the city, and has spent most of her life there)

I was in the process of retiring and she has a good job in the city.

In other words, I gave up winter*  for a wonderful gal.

Yes, many of the rivers situated in New England flow to the Atlantic Ocean.

But the rivers in the northern parts of Que., Ont. Man., Sask. Alta. flow downhill to the Arctic Ocean or to Hudson Bay.

A few,  (like the French river), flow to the great lakes , (Lake Huron), which drains into the Saint Lawrence River and northeast to the Atlantic Ocean.

The country is beautiful there, especially the north shore of Lake Huron, and Lake Superior.

And I wish all of us could holiday there.

Regards,

SLAG.

*Missouri experiences a rainy season in the winter

I live in New Mexico, could you explain this "rain" you mention?  Actually that's misleading we are supposed to average 9 inches of precipitation a year.

Our next task is to by a cord of wood which will cover our heating for a couple of years.   Our cooling bills are also lower than when we lived in Ohio; single digit humidity works really well when it's hot out.