I Forge Iron

Value of Vulcan Anvil #6

Vulcan anvils have a very thin hardened face, so any re-surfacing probably ruined it for blacksmithing use. If I recall a #6 is just 60 pounds. We really need to see some pictures to help you. As far as value, we really need to know where in the world you are located.

I'd pass, whoever did that to the anvil didn't know what they were doing, there probably isn't much if any useful life left in it. Any time you see a Vulcan that has had the face ground it's probably been ruined. As IDFC says Vulcan face plates are thin and being thin they tend to deflect in use causing the face to dish in the center. People who grind them flat and smooth almost certainly have to remove most or all the high carbon steel face.

Keep your eyes open Kerry there are lots of anvils out there just don't think they need a smooth shiny face and crisp edges. I'm sure you'd be put onto something you'd like if we knew where the heck you live. I know of a couple within 50 miles of me, drop by and I'll introduce you.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're welcome, it's my pleasure. Just Frosty works and will save you some typing. 

I forgot to welcome you to the site and suggest you put your general location in the header. That way members living within visiting distance can let you know about tools hammer ins, BBQs, etc. I was too obscure with my tongue in cheek suggestion you should drop by. It was a clumsy hint about your location. Of course now I suppose I'll find out you live within 10 minutes of me and I'll have to introduce you to the boys in the club. It's  pretty cool the few times it's happened.

There are high quality new anvils being made in the USA and are being discussed currently. 

Frosty The Lucky.