I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

30 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

The very first hole i drilled hit the stud but my small drill bit was so sharp it went  through the wood like there was nothing there. 

You got to watch for the sawdust!  I had a similar thing earlier this year in my ceiling.  Hole after hole drilling to hang a plant holder.  Hole after hole, no sawdust coming out.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Pat Masterson said:

Ted - these are amazing. I’m always jealous of the finish for the pictures you post - it’s one of my biggest problems with my own work. I already asked what you use once before and you said you apply a satin clear coat. I got a rustoleum satin clear coat but it seemed to literally peel off once it was dried and looked terrible. I’m guessing I maybe didn’t clean the surface well enough before applying. Do you have a specific brand you use/# of coats/process? 

Hi Pat

I like the clear enamel better than the clear paint, but both work for me. The enamel dries faster and is a harder finish. I use whatever brand is at the hardware store.

I spend a fair amount of time on the finish. I first get all the scale off with the big wire wheel, and then the nooks with a small wire wheel on the die grinder. 

Next is the flapper wheel on my hand grinder, followed by a small flapper wheel on the die grinder. You can get a nice smooth finish with the little wheel. Both are 80 grit.

Then I run it through the large wire wheel again to even up the texture.

Once that's all done,  I clean it with a solvent before applying the clear coat.

The clear coat will tend to darken the steel somewhat, depending on how well it's been cleaned. Any residual scale will turn dark.

Hope that helps.

A friend of mine commissioned a small drawknife from me last week. I found a file today in the scrap pile that was just right for what I have in mind. I filed in some depressions for the epoxy to bind to. And he wanted to make the handles himself. This is the first piece I've ever sold.

IMG-20210831-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.121ecfe05e7a758b2351ceb66a6592be.jpegIMG-20210831-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.11ecb13655ed4ef0ab4e1b646e1a868a.jpeg

~Jobtiel.

Gandalfgreen, I don't know for what specifically, but I basically made a smaller version of the one I made for myself a while back. Mine has the handles angled in the same way and I use it to strip bark and fit hammer and axe handles. also for finer work like making things round for wooden corks and the like.

~Jobtiel

My dad has one he inherited from his maternal granddad. It has folding handles. I prefer it to others I have used. In addition to being easier to store, you can adjust the handles to an angle that feels best. 

Alexandr, do you have some sort of preform  or jig you use for those?  Looking at them I am reminded of a spun sugar cage. 

I liked my folding handle draw knife so well I bought it twice---from the same fleamarket.  Got such a deal on it the second time, I didn't even fuss that it had been stolen from my shop---still had my "tool color" on it when I ran across it the second time...

LBS; I think I sweated off a pound or two just looking at those pictures; I hope none of those come back home with you!