• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ted, I think I would kill to have your climate lol. It has been 88-94 degrees here for nearly 2 weeks straight and the humidity has not been kind either. I think our weather is supposed to finally break and cool back off into the 70's next week. This summer has been a hot and sticky one.

For me it has been a relatively cool and very wet summer. Only about 50 days over 100 so far this year but I have had about 18.5” of rain since June 22. (average 12” per year)

by far the wettest monsoon season I have experienced. I have worked outside in the desert SW my whole life so I am well acclimated

My hydration routine is lots of water followed by hops infused water containing beverage(s)

3 hours ago, SinDoc said:

Ted, I think I would kill to have your climate lol. It has been 88-94 degrees here for nearly 2 weeks straight and the humidity has not been kind either. I think our weather is supposed to finally break and cool back off into the 70's next week. This summer has been a hot and sticky one.

When it warms up in the central valley of California, the hot air rises. This pulls colder air from the ocean inland, which has to go right by my house to get there. Free air conditioning! 

The downside is that it has become quite popular to live here, driving property values to ridiculous levels. I also find that I don't have much in common with my neighbors anymore. Too much money can spoil a place. 

Working outside all year round id rather have summer even with the heat and humidity vs winter. 

I have to work harder in the winter to get the same level of work done so physically is harder. 

Couple that with having to start yhe job in a feeling cold condition just to start sweating and then driving with the windows down to evaporate the sweat to get ready for the next job.

Rinse and repeat thru the day for months. 

Summer here is 2 fast months so its a duck shoot either side of it.

This summer July we had 27 days of rain. 

It used to take me 2 days of high heat to adapt. Now it takes 4. By day 5 heatwave is over and im freezing in the 80s..

Finally got soem rain yesterday and the temp went from a very humid 90+F to 71F, absolute heaven, till the floods that is. Water was ankle deep in the parking lot at work.

Thomas, wanted to say thanks for the idea, worked a treat. 1/2" square bar forge welded then worked around a drift. One question though, should i scarf the end like you would a hinge eye? Anyway this is fresh out of the fire and dipped in the slack tub. File and grind the rough out then drill and tap. 

IMG_20210827_125308.thumb.jpg.bb4871fcd9ab6b00b0268b1027fc41d0.jpg

I was thinking so, so i tried it. The where it thins down inside the eye is a pain to get welded. But then again i am finding the but welds are so better. Made 4 (?) now the fifth failed so it is break time. I also think the one on the right may not have welded but it holds when i put a drift through it. If any thing it is only partially welded. The one next to it, 2nd from the right is the one i scarfed like a hinge and you can see where the tab failed to weld. Of them three though i think i got enough so i can drill and tap. They are just decorative after all.

That little line on the scarfed one that looks like a step in the photo is just a piece of scale i havent cleaned off yet.

IMG_20210827_145630.thumb.jpg.ad459b83ef450b961856a98e25bdd544.jpg

Yep, in the 90's high humidity and my crazy behind is in the shop.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:20 AM, SinDoc said:

I feel your pain with squirrels IronDragon. We have a gap somewhere under our kitchen cabinets that I have yet to find that a squirrel apparently has. It keeps coming in in the middle of the night, forcing the cabinet door open and helping itself to our bread. Cat isn't earning his keep allowing this to happen. I put our bread and stuff up into a cabinet rather than out in the open, then the little bugger ate my tortillas! Now what am I to make my tacos with?! Wife wont let me use any kind of trap to deal with him so I have to find and seal his entry.

You need this guy. Usually they manage to evade him, but Tigger has managed to bring a couple of them home. On this particular hunt he came up empty. 

0E7AABC7-F412-4BDB-B96E-1EADDD4839FD.jpeg

I agree with DHarris, you need a cold blooded killer cat!
I have shop cats that patrol my property and keep the squirrels, chipmunks, mice and rats to a almost nonexistent state, I had problems with rodents chewing wiring and dang near starting fires… Lucky for me I saw smoke before it got outta hand and ended worse..

I spent money on traps and poisons and everything else and it didn’t seem to work, then one day I drug home a stray cat that hung around were I used to work and it wiped out the problem in less than a month,  now eight years later and multiple cat generations later there’s a garrison of permanent cats that take care of any unwanted rodent guests, the only problem is now I gotta feed the cats and pay vet bills but I feel it’s a good trade off compared to a burned down building! 

Ted, did you weld the ball bearing into the socket or did you make the socket deep enough that more than 50% of the bearing fit into it and you peened over the part over the "equator" of the bearing to hold it in?

Cool and very clean design.  Would fit well on a modern house.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."