I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I just picked up a Dewalt cordless angle grinder for a few bucks at the industrial surplus place, but now I need to get a battery and charger (and replace the missing guard). Seriously considering getting the adapter that allows you to use a 20v battery in an 18v machine.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You haven't looked at Propane Warehouse site have you? The one John posted is just one of many: regulator, gauge, hose combinations offered.

You have to look around, sometimes buying the components individually is cheaper than buying the combination. Often shipping decides the best deal. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I did look at that site only listed 2 high pressure hoses a 10ft and 20ft both rubber.  I saw the valve and knob which i want but want to compair some prices. I am also a little computer dumb so will re visit site and double check. I always listen Frosty just like to see all fronts before I conquer. your words are never unheard. Gandalf the green has ears in every forest......

Sorry Gandalf I did you a disservice. The products available on Propane Warehouse change and I didn't do more than scan a couple pages. I should pay attention to my own advice eh? 

Are you still calling the regulator a valve? I don't want to get all pedantic but getting the terms right can make a huge difference. If you're talking about a valve in addition to the reg. . . nevermind.

I don't mean to seem to come down on you, I see a lot of potential and I can get carried away. 

By all means shop around, there are other warehouse type sites that carry propane stuff though I can't recall the names. Getting the most for your money, effort and time is always wise.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Seriously considering getting the adapter that allows you to use a 20v battery in an 18v machine.

I like my cordless Dewalt angle grinder. It is super convenient when there is not an outlet nearby. 

I don't know for sure that the 18/20V converter (really just a pass-through) was the cause, but I had a battery with power still in it that wouldn't charge again after I left it installed in the converter overnight. The battery had discharged too much and the charger wouldn't charge the battery.  I suspect that the converter either has a small internal resistor somewhere or else it somehow got shorted (i.e.,if the converter was the cause). 

I used another means to get the voltage higher in the battery, and it charged fine again. I just make sure to keep the batteries out of the converter when I am finished using it. 

Edited by Chris Williams
Added specificity.

Frosty no apologies needed. no harm taken at all I have a feeling me and you would get along rather well and stir the pot a little too much haha. I have enjoyed every word I have read that you have written and knowledge is ever growing. I was trained in an old school kitchen by an old school chef words will never cause me to turn away that old saying if you cant take the heat get out the kitchen makes me wonder if it came from your ability to take the abuse from those guys. haha keep on keeping me on my toes and educating me I am listening. 

And yeah maybe double check world moves fast now ...... and yes i was talking about the valve that time that you recommended 

Decided to take the PVC pipe off of the bird feeder hanger. I thought the pipe would keep the squirrels off the feeder by rolling them off, but they learned how to balance on it. All I had to do was heat the back bend and hammer it straight, then put the bend back in.

100_2116-3.jpg.d9312967149a1683afbb752d919962f7.jpg

I feel your pain with squirrels IronDragon. We have a gap somewhere under our kitchen cabinets that I have yet to find that a squirrel apparently has. It keeps coming in in the middle of the night, forcing the cabinet door open and helping itself to our bread. Cat isn't earning his keep allowing this to happen. I put our bread and stuff up into a cabinet rather than out in the open, then the little bugger ate my tortillas! Now what am I to make my tacos with?! Wife wont let me use any kind of trap to deal with him so I have to find and seal his entry.

14 minutes ago, SinDoc said:

Wife wont let me use any kind of trap to deal with him so I have to find and seal his entry.

Sindoc use cayenne pepper make your cupboard spicy and no squirrels will visit. most pests cant stand capsasin from peppers. Can make a pepper spray and wont kill just deter that friend you have but dont want.

The most obvious answer is to seal up our crawl space to prevent it from getting under the house to begin with but with my luck, it will be under there already and die then I would have to crawl under there to get rid of the smell. Would not be a fun time. Guys at work suggested tossing some firecrackers in there to scare anything underneath out then seal it up.

Punches profit from the high alloy steels like H-13 or S-7; but of course they didn't have those for the first couple of thousand years of smithing so simple steels will work---but you need to get used to chanting things like two blows-Quench, two blows-Quench, two blows-Quench, (when you get faster you can go to three blows-Quench!)

I like to use large Allen wrenches I find at the tool thrift shop (which are usually high alloy steel or S-something tool steel based on my research). Spring steels (ie, coil springs and the & style RR clips) work well too. I always harden and temper the working end.

22 hours ago, JHCC said:

Seriously considering getting the adapter that allows you to use a 20v battery in an 18v machine.

I highly recommend the adapter. The new lithium batteries are way better then the old NiCad. The tools are all 18v regardless (20v is just DeWalt marketing as it’s a 20v maximum power surge, but it’s really an 18v tool)