• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wife wanted a pair of large leaf hooks for a charity auction she's involved with. These are made from 1/2" × 1" bar. Hooks are 2" dia.

The piston in my hammer cylinder decided to part company with the shaft during operations. Surprisingly there was little internal damage. Reattached it with some locktite on the bolt and it works fine. Cheap Chinese parts aren't worth the initial savings. 

20210822_171019.thumb.jpg.7da4f1ff3f1003562c99f3db907eede3.jpg

Half chisel, half fuller sounds like a slick tool Bob and made for radiusing the bottom of chisel cuts.

Cool, I think I'll have to make one.

I like your frame Pat, it came out nicely. However, if the gap in the corner bothers you enough, turn the frame over and use it as a place to start one of the vines. Vines grow out of cracks you know. ;)

Another thought would be have the stem rooting in the crack but that'd be a more advanced technique on that scale. Still. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Real nice Ted. I like the length of the hooks  

My lady always wants more S hooks so I tried to make 3 identical ones from some 1/4” garage door spring. Turned out pretty close but it was harder than I thought. Couple fun hours for sure 

E8C125A3-4F4B-4433-BE5D-763C9694BAE9.jpeg.62533ce9d10eacbcc6a34f9af155f0e3.jpeg

D40D07E1-5020-4D26-B48E-A2ACF555C22B.jpeg.fd613bcd5f491a77d668b3c89bb6c42d.jpeg

thanks for lokking

Make a group of S hooks at 3 different lengths.  Also make S, C, and J hooks and have her choose which ones she wants.  Be ready to have her take the whole batch so she can have them on hand when she wants one.

She will soon find that she can use multiple hooks on the same plant to adjust the height to exactly what she wants.

Do not show her that you can put a leaf on the end of the S hook instead of a pig tail. That will be a whole different request for a quantity of the hooks.

They make 1/4 inch round bar in 20 foot lengths, get several.

My dad was working on his car one day and nicked his hand. Seeing as to how he id diabetic, on blood thinners, etc. he went to take care of it and bandaged it up. Next morning he woke to a bed full of blood so off to the doctor he went. Doctor said no problem a stitch should fix it, no well 2 will do the job, no lets try 3 (keep in mind in is a small nick) long story short half a spool of thread later and it is stopped. When he went to get the stitches out it took the doctor almost and hour to work them all out. 

Thomas, at least with the wife doing it you will be able to keep the staples for that special blade. 

Hot and humid this weekend so mostly a lot of sitting in the shade. Got some forge time mostly trying different ways to make a big nut. But did get some work on my railing done. The big nut will replace the one on top to match the other bolts for the brackets. 

IMG_20210822_190509.thumb.jpg.fbac07e4f400e68e20f995740644f278.jpg

A "Wrest" will break it off nicely (for example take two large adjustable wrenches and place then at 90deg to each other and almost touching and then apply lots of pressure to shear the 1/4" sq stock.

I've seen large nuts made by bending sq stock around and forge welding it, then forging the outside square using a mandrel on the inside to make drilling and tapping it easy.   You can see some like that in thenold mine hardware and see the forge weld lap after 100 years of exposure.

Bad electrical storm last night; a lot of the town had a long power outage; I doubt any work gets done on my shop's electrical system this week!  Out where we were at we were fine didn't even have to reset the clocks and had a great view of the "fireworks".

Well this stinks. Got my forge finally started mixed my silica coated my forge go to light it for first time get it lit goes out so turn high pressure regulator valve to off position and the valve strips out and wont turn off. Run to the 3 local stores to hopefully find a new highpressure hose and no luck. Anyone reccomend a brand i can order online before i search amazon. Hope this does not ruin my silica phase not being able to fire now. Without bad luck i have no luck lol.

Worst case scenario, you can set the rigidizer with a plumber's propane torch. Just go over it bit by bit, heating each section to glowing before you move on. It may take a little while, but that will enable you to put in the hard refractory lining and give it plenty of time to cure while you're getting your burner's propane supply worked out.

Not in the shop; but my  Dr's office called and told me my staples had been in long enough, (too long), come in immediately for removal.  (Helps that my Dr's nurse is my next door neighbor...)  Less than 30 minutes to drive up there, sign in, get them removed and back into work!   Yes I have them (and the removal tool!)  Some of the more expensive steel I have bought!

3 hours ago, Gandalfgreen said:

so turn high pressure regulator valve to off position and the valve strips

Which knob were you turning? Regulators are NOT valves, the regulate pressure they are NOT designed to open and close circuits like the: Tank valve a ball or gate valve. You probably screwed the adjustment screw out of the screw box. 

Never NEVER use the regulator as a valve unless it's a dire emergency, even then it's a bad choice.

Search "Propane Warehouse" select "regulators" on their site, the 1-30 psi is $42. Farther down the page is a propane gauge $15. There is more hose than a crazy person needs.

Get a 1/4 turn propane shut off valve that will screw directly into the output side of the regulator and then to the hose for lighting and shutting down the fire. The tank valve is then used to close the tank, the regulator will depressurize itself safely, they're designed to and if the hose isn't under pressure there will only be what's under the diaphram and in the regulator to bleed off. 

Yes it's going to cost a few bucks but it's better to do some things right rather than cheap. A propane leak or failure can ruin everything close.

Frosty The Lucky.

That is NOT a valve, it's a pressure control. Just because you can turn the regulator so it seems to be off doesn't mean it is. 

At least it was a cheap lesson compared to what a propane leak can teach. 

Check out Propane Warehouse, they have everything you need to do it right and the prices are reasonable.

Frosty The Lucky.

I once picked up a turkey fryer for US$3 as the guy had let the hose drag off the side of his trailer while taking it to the fleamarket and it had worn the brass fitting to the propane tank down...took it home and swapped out a brass fitting from a free junked propane grill and used it for another 10 years.

Before junking the non-working one; I'd take it to my favorite propane dealer and ask if it could be fixed or was worth trying to fix.  Most of the time they would do a simple fix for free as I buy all my forge stuff from them and will bring a bottle opener by every now and then...

I would definitely recommend a hose with a pressure control, a gauge, and a braided cover on the hose, like this one:

71K3Ux-xQJL._AC_SL1499_.jpg

The gauge helps you keep an eye on how much fuel you're putting into the forge, and the braided cover helps protect the hose from errant hot things.

As Frosty says, adding a quarter-turn shutoff valve is a really good idea. At very least, make sure you turn off the valve at the tank when you shut down.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, JHCC said:

It’s also pretty easy to cut or fold into shorter lengths to fit into a smaller vehicle!

I used to do that, but a few months ago Home Depot had a sale on Ryobi batteries. Buy two and get a free cordless tool. I needed the batteries, so I bought a couple. For the free tool, I chose a 4.5” angle grinder. Not useful if you need to do a lot of grinding, but is great for making a few quick cuts. Especially on small stock. 

Finished the forging on the little camp axe today. It was quite challenging getting the forge weld for the bit. I welded in a piece of file I had laying around. Wanted coil spring for the bit, but I ended up chiseling the split to deep. 

I'm quite proud of the forge weld, even though I burnt the piece a bit, it's my second forge weld ever.

The chisel split and the preform before welding.

IMG_20210824_144701.thumb.jpg.d9cdabf920690fb65274f18b30d91d42.jpg

IMG_20210824_141229.thumb.jpg.30a18865b1251e1e185e2973f1ef383c.jpg

the finished forging after forge welding (and burning a piece from the front, and cutting the burnt piece off.)

IMG_20210824_161326.thumb.jpg.0ec009c926c38cc3a44cc6c2c8b860de.jpg

Now it's time for a little file work.

~Jobtiel