• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, JHCC, I guess I didn’t think that comment through very well, they are used in a feed hopper in commercial chicken houses, as the auger turns it kicks the ball up and the ball busts up hard clumps of feed so the clumps will fall down to the auger and feed down the auger line to the feed pans. Hopefully that all made sense lol. 

Haven't done anything in the shop but im in Louisville for a concert and I'm hoping cumberland elkhorn coal and coke is open on Saturdays so I can grab a bag or two of coal. Fingers crossed because they're not answering the phone yet. 

Pnut

Tried out that back support i made for my anvil. Worked quite nicely making the first of what will be a few turning wrenches. The first one i failed is lying next to the one i made yesterday. A little wider than i was going for but that can be either fixed or just make another slightly smaller. 

IMG_20210716_162641.thumb.jpg.ef20bdc0d69c8f80b64f12675bc650c7.jpg

I’d definitely recommend making the opening somewhat smaller, for two reasons. First, I think you’ll find it generally more useful (depending, of course, on the sizes you work with most). Second, you can take the opportunity to make a square upset corner on the outside, which will make it stronger overall. 

Went to my brother's work today to weld up the new fire pot. Some of the welds are very sloppy, that's one me, and my brother did an amazing job welding up the pot itself.

IMG_20210717_194357.thumb.jpg.2c86426c929454ae7fe4f9c857e360e1.jpg

IMG_20210717_194407.thumb.jpg.a9f647304781eef8050d47983f38d428.jpg

Tomorrow I'll install it, but before I do that I need to find some threaded rods so I can actually attach the blower.

~Jobtiel

Has anyone bought new steel recently? How the price has gone up. Almost doubled. 

Anyway i needed new steel for an up coming project. It will be porch railing. The existing railing is wood with just square spindles. I will take out the middle three and put in an iron center piece. Then every 3rd spindle will come out and be replaced with iron. Or at least that is the plan. So yesterday i spent working on the process and making a couple scrolling jigs. A total of 28 scrolls will be needed. The center piece has a tenon that will go through the top piece, it will be threaded and i am going to make something like a blacksmiths diamond that will be tapped to go on top. The bottom will have a finial that will bolt to the lower rail. Anyway here is my lay out, one side of the bottom is missing and the scroll is not right, just laid it there to get an idea of what they will look like. Above to the right is one of my jigs cooling off. Oh, this is one of the center pieces. The spindles will be just simple twisted bars. 

IMG_20210717_140722.thumb.jpg.58b6aa8f7cd1c3f0533dda01db069a55.jpg

Also been working on getting my deck built. Man what a pain 8 holes, 14" around and 34" deep, by hand. Almost a yard of concrteBut while digging found this. What to do with it? That 18 on the bottom (top of the photo) is how big around it is, 18". 

IMG_20210717_171231.thumb.jpg.f8905e5153663e3b3aefa4292074eb7d.jpg

JHCC, i am still trying to get that upset square corner down, almost there but not quite. I can get the nice sharp corner but i end up narrowing it down. Just have to keep trying i know eventually i will get it. 

Ted, really nice flag holder there. My flag pole is an old tent pole, one of the telescoping kind. 

I was thinking a septic tank or cistern. It was in the back and all my utilities come in from the front. That does not mean that they always did though. My mom went across my back yard where we are digging with a metal detector, the house has been here for about 100 years so she was curious, she totally missed this huge piece of iron. I found a nickel, a new nickel...they make it look so easy on the videos. See why they get excited about finding a button.