• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I modified my anvil clamp today. It used to be held in the Hardie hole by a nut drawn up by a bolt to expand two pieces of steel into the sides. It held moderately well but would loosen under strain.

I converted it to a normal wedge under the hardie. I also added a locking bolt for the swivel head.

I have used this clamp quite a bit. Once it's set up, clamping is quick. It's great for punching holes or holding down a bottle opener while working the tab out. 20210712_142247.thumb.jpg.837eac0234d443b4ef8dd60758db05ab.jpg20210712_142610.thumb.jpg.839cfa04af3b509b3ee8ef370a611a99.jpg

7 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

I converted it to a normal wedge under the hardie.

Now what you should do is convert the wedge into a sliding toggle, so that you drop it into the hardy hole, turn it 90°, and be good to go.

225FDCA9-1EE9-45B4-A754-17C24C0BAEBA.jpeg

For a lot of tasks I find a spring loaded one to be sufficient and easy to clear the anvil face when not needed: T handle on top, cross bar to hold, side bars to go down the anvil sides then angled in for the spring to attach. You can lift and drop it off the back of the anvil when not in use.  IIRC I first saw one of these in use by Bill Moran...

22 hours ago, Gandalfgreen said:

Rain rain rain. Been trying to coat with silica and fire all day hopefully 640 this rain stops.

20 hours ago, bluerooster said:

We've been getting about 1/2" per day here in the southeast.

please send it here  we are constantly smoked in this was last week its worse today IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.8b1fa4bff8edd28b4955df7fd3dc32e4.JPG

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.c841a8c64ad2fa2b87d1cd8dfe34cc1f.JPG

M.J.Lampert

on Friday and Saturday i had some time at the anvil and made some animal heads out of3/8 square stock from left, attempted at a mountain goat but got more of an ibex,  kudu, thin horn mountain sheep next one needs more taper to the horns, last one is a Texas longhorn also made a hoof pick and a ladle but the later needs some cleaning up before its done

IMG_0080.thumb.JPG.7ec69fc01b451618b9c193e0150bf50f.JPG

IMG_0088.thumb.JPG.056da11eadaf95ce92e56a8975d9a3e0.JPG

yes i know its a cast aso i only keep it around for the horn

M.J.Lampert

i just about forgot i also made a drift from half a U-bolt seen on ground is my explanation of the kudu horns to another person

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.3610591969b7f7f4f8a2a9db90376709.JPG

5 hours ago, M.J.Lampert said:

please send it here  we are constantly smoked in this was last week its worse today 

Wish I could another day of rain rain rain. Got soaked to the bone driving food around in golf cart felt like wet hay at end my day. But I did score this 100 feet or so of steel braided wire.

20210713_221034.jpg

The wedge is so easy I'll leave it as is. Interesting alternative though.

I was bending some little brackets over a form, while holding them down by the end tabs, and the clamp kept loosening up. Very frustrating. 

It won't loosen up anymore. 

Still no signs of progress.

Hold downs serve a variety of needs and so have a range of how much something is held down, from tons of force from a large steam hammer's clamping action to just enough to keep the workpiece from rolling off the face of the anvil.  I have several that get used; some a lot: bike chain over the heel with a standing bar on it; some infrequently: top piece of a pipe wrench forged to fit the hardy with a T handle and then cross drilled to connect a spring on the bottom to the anvil stump.

Many construction jobs (especially for commercial spaces and those with critical engineering) will specify all new material. This means that a lot of stuff gets thrown away even when it has usable life still in it — sometimes even practically new. 

Why I lucked into so many nice electric motors: they junked the complete HVAC system of a University building and replaced it with a different one.  The fan motors ranged from "recently replaced" to "I bet this one was left turned off while expecting the new system!".  As it was the junkyard I frequent; I picked up several nice motors for US$10 a piece ranging from 1/2hp to 1 3/4 hp, TEFC, single phase with makers like Baldor and Dayton.  I have plans for them!