• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had it in Naples and it really is pretty good.  It was on a spread of appetizers.  A lot of the other things they served not so much...  They may have been dredging in the bay that day.  Idk...

Edited by Nodebt
Fix something...

Nodebt, I’ve been across the Atlantic quite a few times, and I’ve seen some pretty good size swells, and I ventured to look over the side a time or two, as well as I’ve been over the side a time or two.. I was a boatswainsmate so I spent most of my time topside in all types of weather. And your right the ocean is an awesome powerful force! 

Lol well I can’t say every time I went over I was in chair! But it was definitely an adventure that I wouldn’t think twice about doing again. Deck Dept isn’t the most glorious job by no means but it definitely has earned its pride! What rate did you strike out to when you left deck? 

Lol well I had several friends go to yeoman, gunnersmate, various aviation rates, and various supply rates, I guess I was the one who just demanded more punishment! But I love all my navy brothers and sisters no matter where they went. 
what ships where you on? 

Nodebt, I spent time on two amphibs out of Norfolk va, the uss Nassau and the uss Mesa verde, 

JHCC, Gadalfgreen, y’all can have all of the nasty tentacles you can eat! You can definitely have my share, I’ve tried that stuff a few times and I’ve came to the conclusion that it not safe to eat! Yuck, yuck and double yuck! Lol 

Nice stand Lary! You can grind all sorts of useful bottom tools in the web and flanges. It looks by the piece you forged in the pic you need to radius the edges, those sharp inside corners are stress risers where breaks will initiate. If you run out of web and flanges to make bottom tools you can flip it over and there's no rule against having several several rail anvils.

I like to put flange up angle iron, spreaders between the legs so I can lay a piece of expanded metal in for a shelf. It's a good place to lay HOT things where you or others cant step on them or light stuff on fire. I normalize on the wire shelf rather than on my concrete floor. 

Let us know how you like it.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, lary said:

an improvised anvil.

Here’s the main end of my rail anvil:

0FCF556E-E567-4DC3-B141-60BC708CD8AB.jpeg

The center flange is rounded over to use as a fuller, the edges of the track have about 1/8” radius, and the two sides of the base have a small horn and hot-cut (with a rather wide blade angle) ground in.