I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Alexandr:  If the trip comes together next year we will let you know.  We would visit Sweden first, I am half Swede and have 2d and 3d cousins there.  We would love to visit Russia and meet you and your family.  My wife is expressing enthusiasm for this and thinks that is very cool that I have international IFI friends.

George

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr. Ewert,

Those tongs are lovely.

Another use for them is as holders for steel punches.

I remember that on line stores sell them. They have a good picture of them on their site.

Regards,

SLAG.

Poor people stay poor through generosity while the rich can afford a bit of giving if it doesn't cause their hands to bleed.  The more generous, the less they had to work hard to earn what they have usually. 

Have you ever seen someone rich give away everything if they weren't dying? Well there are a few examples that were due to principal. The ones we hear about usually die.

I wanted to get rich so I had 4 kids and bought a small house. I then had to double the size of the house, by myself, and when that was done, send the kids to college. Then I took up blacksmithing.

When does the getting rich part start? 

Boy you guys have the wrong approach to selling to high $ buyers! Of course they don't want to spend more than it's worth to them, doing that is a good way to get or stay poor.

What the wealthy WILL pay lots for are bragging rights. I know you've heard me say it before but hand forged is about bragging rights. With the few occasions hand forged isn't the only way to get a thing that works. 

Wealthy folks rarely brag about how little their possessions cost, there are exceptions of course say. "You wouldn't believe how little I had to give for this Monet!" That's bragging about bargaining skill or luck. The wealthy folks I've known or dealt with quietly like to show off how much it cost them to get. Whatever. 

Charging a wealthy patron $3k for a trellis they could buy for $100 at Home Depot is WHY they're talking to you about a trellis rather than sending the gardener to Lowes.

Low balling your prices takes you off the wealthy patron's radar.

I see we're typing at the same time Ted. 

Your 4 kids don't make your life rich? Or are you confusing money for riches? You aren't someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing are you?

Frosty The Lucky.

"Very Large Fortune", fixed that for you!

I just made my Daughter, SiL and 4 grandsons very happy offering to drive from NM to Seattle and pick up one grandson and their pet dog when they fly back from a stint on Okinawa.  (Wonderful chance to live overseas and experience a foreign culture; except for spending most of it in Lockdown with 4 sons being home schooled because of Covid...)  They couldn't get their pet home bacause of temperature regulations on flying animals and cost of of renting a vehicle for 6+dog these days...

I'm rich enough to be able to do this for them and expect to spend some time talking with a very jet lagged pre-teen.  I have a lot of vacation built up from about a year and one half of not being able to take any.  So early August I will drop offline for a week.  If everyone along the route from Albuquerque NM to Seattle WA could leave their anvils out to wave to me while I go by,  (why yes I do pick up hitchhiking anvils!...)  Now to put the shell back on the pickup and load my camping stuff.

I could tell you but then....There seems to be a regulation forbidding animals being transported to an area above 75 degF? when it arrives.  Unfortunately Albuquerque in August may exceed that limit, it might not early in the morning; but they won't allow the flight on a maybe.   So they were going to fly into Seattle and drive home; then they learned that a vehicle for 6 passengers + luggage + dog was going to run US$500 a day and they would be very jet lagged when they go to Seattle anyway.  As they are moving back during the housing Boom; they already have financial issues. (The house they sold when going to Okinawa 2 years ago was back on the market for over US$100000 more than they sold it for!)

So I can drive out put dog and oldest grandson in my pickup cab and drive back leaving them to fly to Albuquerque, minus one kid and a dog. Hopefully the total flight will then be covered by their transportstion allotment. (Very Expensive Mutt!) (And also hoping they will beat the pickup back!  My wife can go up and help 3 very tired and cranky kids and their 2 very tired and cranky parents!)

Now there's a new American market, The Thomas Powers Squid Ranch!

Deep fried squid wings will be the latest THING for bar nibbles! 

Oooh, how about a nice plate of squid chip nachos!

Squid enchilada, squid alfredo, sweet and sour squid, etc. TV dinners!

The possibilities are endless!

Your grandkids have it made, Grandpa!

I'm starting to feel new career envy. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.