I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I've heard rumors of old wrought iron sash weights, but I've never actually seen one. However, a quick drill test will immediately show whether your dealing with cast or wrought.

9 hours ago, SLAG said:

Have you tried out elevator counter weights.

No, this was just something that came my way and was begging for a use. (An old college friend was clearing out his late parents' house, and I'd bought his dad's tabletop furnace; he threw in the sash weights, a 55 lb cast AOS, a bunch of railroad spikes, and a Starrett machinist's vise.) Old elevator counterweight plates are usually cast iron, and I believe that newer ones are often made of steel. Interestingly, I gather that when elevators get upgraded to increase the carrying capacity and there isn't enough head space in the counterweight frame to add more steel or iron plates, some of the old plates will get replaced with lead plates, to increase the weight without taking up any more space.

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I'm working on it a little more thought out.

Good lookin' gator, my friend.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks John. It still has a long way to go fast. 

Sin, I don't know about the dremel. Might take a while. Hacksaw, 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel, sawsall, chop saw or other tools might be quicker. Thinking a dremel might not get all the way through it. 

I think shipping it to you would be much cheaper than driving up there :lol:.

If I had to guess, Oberlin is probably ~3ish hours of driving. I have only been up that way once, and it was for a buddies wedding in Poland/Youngstown.

Sin, the Lorain County Airport is just on the outskirts of town, so that's very convenient. Too much cast iron might throw off the weight of the plane, though.

Thomas, yes, I did. Fortunately, I made enough on my tailgate sales to cover the fine.

I love my cruise control!   It deals with my urges to contravene the statutes nicely.  (And is working in my current pickup! My wish list is getting checked off: cup holders: yes; cruise control: yes;  keyholes on both doors: yes; simple cheap keys: yes; extended cab but not 4 door: yes; V6: no.  AC is not a wish list item down here...)

Been a bit since I posted, but I finally did something in the shop! Granted, it wasn’t my shop, nor a personal project, but it was still something. Yesterday I worked with my ag teacher and one other kid building livestock pens for our ffa chapter. We spent a lot of time cutting stock, and then I got to do some welding for the first time! I totally forgot to take pictures, but some of my welds were actually quite pretty, and I was doing really well. I’ll make sure to take pictures for y’all when I can, even if it’s in October when I’m keeping my lamb in the completed pens lol. More specifically, we were MIG welding.

Alexandr, impressive as always. Love those hinges.

With being a year behind schedule i finally got to break ground for the deck i am putting on the back of the house. My house was moved from its original location back in the early 1900's, a whole town was actually moved. Where it sits the land was raised about 4 feet and leveled off. A lot of my property is fill with a lot of gravel and rock. Anyway whilest digging away i found something interesting. I think it is a chunk of iron ore. Maybe one of you geology types could verify that it is indeed.

IMG_20210611_175507.thumb.jpg.33b78c6cbf3dc70ecc7dbc1c02c23476.jpg

Mr. Mouse says "Hi". 

This is my favorite chandelier, Alexandr, especially the view from the bottom. 

In one of your other videos you showed a white exercise room. Do/did you box or do some other combat sport?

If I were to send you a picture of an area of my yard, do you think you could give me an idea for an arbor there?

CB664510-31CE-4E98-9AA0-D4C3E1F5746F.png

1 hour ago, DHarris said:

In one of your other videos you showed a white exercise room. Do/did you box or do some other combat sport?

No, I am not fond of this sport. A gym in the house of my customer, the world champion. I do not know the truth in which category.

Pergola for flowers in his house.

1 hour ago, DHarris said:

If I were to send you a picture of an area of my yard, do you think you could give me an idea for an arbor there?

Send it, I'll try.

Opera Снимок_2021-06-12_220931_www.instagram.com.png

1.jpg

4.jpg

16.jpg

There are a number of minerals which are strongly or weakly magnetic.  IIRC platinum's magnetism is due to iron impurities in its crystal lattice.  Again, and it has been a long time since I took mineralogy or ore deposits chemistry, chemically pure platinum is not magnetic.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Nice work DHarris. Almost more like a set hammer or set tool? I tried looking it up to see if that was the right name but was just getting sets of tools lol. 

Good flatter for smaller work.

If you made another you could weld on a larger chunk to make a bigger flatter face. You'd be better to have a bigger struck end on a bigger flatter.