I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Did you break the edges on your twist to make it a bit more hand friendly?

I made sure there were no hard corners Thomas. Only because I heard your voice(although I’ve never heard it in person) telling me to do so!:D  Plumber reckoned they were very tactile. The second set with the boxy twist aren’t so hand friendly, certainly not suitable for door handles. I like the idea of dragon door knockers so will thieve that idea straight away thank you;)

We keep keep mainly the hardy breeds of sheep on the islands here just because it is so wet and cold. Blackface sheep are the staple flock which fare the best but the more exotic breeds like texels and Cheviots are kept too, more often crossed with the hardy breeds.  Horses, other than the shetlands and highland ponies have their heavy weight coats on already and will need overnight stabling soon, so soon I’ll be shovelling next years potato fertiliser every morning:)

The sheep and horses I make don’t like the damp, things turn rusty here very quickly!

Oh for the climate of New Mexico! Hope you’re keeping well and I appreciate the pointers as always.

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're coming along nicely, those are some nice looking products. What are you finishing your work with? My preference for most work is carnuba paste wax, Trewax brand, I apply it to work fresh coffee/tea hot. Melted it has a very low viscosity and penetrates every nook and cranny. I wipe the excess off with a rag. I apply it with a rag I keep in the can that used to be the one I wiped excess off with. When it starts getting to dry to wax I switch rags. 

When cool carnuba is really hard and tough, it's what bowling alleys are waxed with, the stuff they have to use drum sanders to strip. 

I only use bees wax of blo, etc. on request. They work well enough I just like my Trewax best, we're old friends.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

What are you finishing your work with?

Thanks Frosty, hope you’re well.

I need to work on my finishing.  The horseshoes just get a spray of beeswax polish cold. BLO and beeswax applied either too hot or too cold is my usual for the companion sets with a bit of soft brass brush rubbing while it’s warm.  To be honest they always sit for a couple of weeks afterwards before they go to the shop as they are a bit sticky until then.:unsure:

My rag usually catches fire when I’m applying the BLO, then I know it’s too hot but I carry on like an eejit until it starts to stick. 
I’m going to see if I can find some carnuba paste wax on this side of the Atlantic.

While I’m being honest I might as well admit to using high temperature stove paint out of a spray can sometimes too. A total cop out! 

slainte!

Paint is NOT a cop out! Forged work has been painted since paint was invented, especially oil paint. 

To help judge the temperature of your work before applying BLO mix touch it with a piece of white paper. (PLEASE don't make me tell you what bursting into flames means:angry:) Printer paper works well for me, it's thin enough to toast quickly and lets you judge temp with time to apply the finish before it cools too far. 

I can judge Trewax temps by hand, I can judge the radiated heat just fine. It's when I want the wax to provide a dark finish I test with paper.  Bowling Alley Wax is another brand name of carnuba paste wax. It's also used on wood dance floors. 

I'm not a fan of bees wax, it tends to stay sticky and collect dust but if applied at about medium high  toast color it'll smoke a bit and drive off some of the volatiles that make it sticky. Not perfect but if a customer wants bees wax, that's what I give them. 

I've used the mix described by Alex Bealer in "The Art Of Backsmithing" including the soot. I didn't like bees wax as described but using paraffin worked pretty well and was never sticky. I also modified his recipe with Neatsfoot oil. have a few hangers out on the barn that have been there 20 years and aren't rusting. I applied it pretty hot, dark toast color largely because I liked the smell of the turps steaming out.  

That hot toasted the finish too so it darkens the work. AT light to medium toast temp the finish is light to medium tan or gold and can distract from brass highlights. Darker and you can bring the brass out nicely by, wiping hot with a dry clean rag or light wipe with 000 steel wool. 

Make small trinkety things to experiment with your finishes. It's like experimenting with anything, if fails matter, you don't want to expend a lot of time, effort and money in the test. This is a good time to experiment with twists. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty! I have the Alex Bealer book in physical form and it’s grubby and well worn!  I refer to it often.  I’ll read again what he says on finishes.

Your paper tip, is one that I will use!  I have a feeling that it will be as valuable as using the leg vice for my hardy tools that don’t fit my wonky french hardy hole!:)

MacLeod; you wouldn't like it; it's in the 70's today, blinding sun, pretty much the same the next 10 days...I worked with a fellow from Edinburgh out here and he used to step out the door and demand to know what that great big bright blindy hot thing in the sky was...

I use a lot of paraffin wax applied hot as a finish; cheap forgiving of the environment it's applied in.  Dusty is literally the next town over's name: Polvadera.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

it's in the 70's today

Wow, yup too hot for me Thomas! The only thing here in the 70’s is the wind, ferries cancelled for the last few days and I hear the shelves are empty in the supermarkets in Stornoway. :D  I spent an hour tying things down outside earlier.  Mrs MacLeods horsebox was skipping about.  When things get too hot in the workshop I step outside and it’s often like getting a bucket of cold water thrown over you. 

Thanks for the paraffin wax tip, might be easy to source here.  I’ve been asked to make a lamp stand with seagulls legs. That’s currently what has me scratching my head but am enjoying doing something different and well outside my comfort zone. 

You've gotten better tips than the paper heat gauge though not for judging black heat. 

The last time I stepped outside was to get a sled load of firewood and it was hanging on 0,f. so I put a jacket and cap on. Right now it's probably much dryer than at Thomas's place, the humidity gauge on the electronic thermometer/humidity gauge is reading zero too. Humidity isn't zero but it's dry enough to give folks bleed cracked hands and bloody noses. There's a large pot of water on the wood stove and hand lotion within reach. 

Don't forget the eye drops or your eyelids start sticking to your eyeballs. 

But it's a dry cold and comfy compared to a foggy 30f. 

Wind? It'll eat you alive at these temps, I'd hate to have to drag my serious cold weather gear out of the basement.

Frosty The Lucky.

MacLeod, to get more symmetry in the hearts try this. I watched a demo where the guy was knocking out heart shaped unicorn shoes from pony shoes. This method works both sides at the same time. He could do 4 shoes in 15 minutes. As for heads instead of scrolls, those would need to be done a different way. Possibly after step 2 for the rough shape, and the eyes, ears, etc added after step 5.

Step 1, fold the shoe in half so it looks like a J not a U

Step 2, straighten the J out to an I

Step 3, Taper each end down edgewise

Step 4, curve the ends to a half heart shape

Step 5, unfold and flatten out the heart

Wanted to work at the forge this weekend. But power went out Thurs. at 5am, and has been off until today about noon.  No power, no blower. I did set about the task of fabricating a hand crank blower from an old leaf blower.  I got it well underway. Just lack a reduction gear, for the crank.

Put in some work on some hooks for a commission. Would have gotten more done, but (A) I ran low on propane and (B) I lost time to switching out the pump on The Pressciousss to make it functional again.

On the other hand, I was pleased at how well the treadle hammer was working; I did most of the basic work on the finials under it with a fuller and a flatter. 

3A7663E0-8346-494D-BBD9-DEAAF77ECD04.jpeg

B238C37C-E8A4-4AF3-BDCF-1FEF6E3391F7.jpeg

And a kiss block on The Pressciousss made drawing out the stock nice and regular  

CC057696-FEF9-43A8-925B-330527BC276E.jpeg

Haven't finished tweaking it;  but did a trial assembly of my fire safe camping chandelier for my SCA campsites here where fires are mostly forbidden!

First piece:

chandelier1.jpg.be2a08cb1dabbcf352228f64f4e96eb9.jpg

Second piece and support chains in place along with the first piece and it's chains: note: the lower ring can be unhooked from the higher ring and the chains separately hung.

chandelier3.jpg.8a8daeb7cb4485624368ba428f22ff21.jpg

I had a problem finding a place to hang it to get enough light for my archaic camera in my chipped flint and bearskins phone.

The "candles" are all battery LEDs, one reason they are held by the wire helix instead of a MUCH simpler spike. (Take a double headed concrete form nail, remove the top head.  Then trim the nail shaft to make a spike. Drill the wax catcher and support to fit  the nail shaft and rivet them together using the nail's second head to fit against the wax catcher.)  Was a pain doing the wire helixes; but my wife wanted it to not bounce the LED votives off due to wind or being bumped into.

The chain was a dog leash I found at the scrapyard. Drug it behind the truck home to clean it up and heat coloured it.  14 links per length.  I wrapped election sign wire to get a coil and sawed it to get rings to connect the chain to the rings---I was going to go with my own chain till I found the old leash.

Now to make another better one!