• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife does calligraphy and I once asked her to make me a "Don't Touch" sign to go with my blade display.  She used a steel brush nib and a reddish brown ink and did it very drippy.  I had found a bent finger plastic "clothes hook" that I ran the screw through the cardboard and had her drip some ink around it.  That sign worked the best of any don't touch sign I had ever used in decades of displays!

It's not a long story. Lady that asked for it said her friend has a little shack/shed at their place by a river. She said they keep the life jackets and other river stuff in there and one time she went in to get some things and with it being dark in there she stumbled over some stuff and about fell. While looking around there were saws axes and all kinds of other sharp and dangerous things hanging and laying around in it. So her and her friend named it the murder shack. 

Sounds a little like my shop lol. 

Thomas, I love the sign idea. Really puts the emphasis on it. 

So yesterday after work I had one of my martial arts buddies met me to go and fetch a wagon axle i had found a few weeks back while swimming after a workout.  

Neat as it is sitting in the middle of the river far from any roads.  It was a haul getting it back to the truck. there is more to the back story. 

There are more items there..  I think it was a complete wagon that ended up in the river and never recovered.  The wrought iron is severely deteriorated but looks like it was fun. 

Rear axle with support wood attached. 

20200825_145409.jpg

20200825_145443.jpg

20200825_145615.jpg

The cast iron is also degraded.  

20200826_112626.jpg

20200826_113115.jpg

20200826_113412.jpg

Nice heavy haul. I once built a sea wall out of boulders from up and down the beach. One boulder took me a couple hours to roll to its destination, breaks included. I don't know anything about WI, is that still forgable?

I did some taper and curl practice today

IMG_8082.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

21 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Hey Chad, would love to see some pictures. 

I've just started on my journey here.   Been doing this for a little over a month now.  The spatula needs to be spread more,  I'll have to slit it and the fork needs to be drawn out a bit more.  I'm going through my firsts. 

1598488460711554768037283406126.jpg

Hey, I think I’ve got that same fork in my scrap bin — just with one tine burned off!

I only grabbed a minute in the shop this evening, but made some progress on a sheet metal project I’m playing with. Gave me a chance to use the treadle hammer to chase some fold lines, which is always fun. 

B3A8811C-3437-4306-B73E-5F7FC00C7CE7.jpeg

313916FC-71A2-4B83-BB05-AB245BA2AAA5.jpeg

I bought this cheap smithing hammer, there wasn't much choice in my local stores really, there was an 800g but I felt the face of it was too small and the head too long. So I bought this ugly thing with a 1500g head for 7€ with the intention of modifying it

haQrwUi.png

The fiberglass shaft was removed first, then I started shaping the head to reduce the weight:

233QPI9.jpg

U1B7sFz.jpg

It's now down to 1390g. I would like it lighter still but my beltgrinder isn't the best and my 2x72 project isn't yet begun. I am consdering putting in my mill and using a face mill at an angle to make deeper scalloped cuts, to lighten the hammer without touching the faces, sort of imitating a swedish pattern cross peen hammer.

Would like a finished weight around 1000-1200g or so. But it's still a big improvement from my 2000g sledge hammer that I have been using, feels light and easy.

Today i had like i wont call it accident because nothing bad happened no damage for health or tools but bellows cought some fire from tuyere , i guess they didnt sucked embers but pipe was realy hot and it transmited heat and made small flame, i was close to water bucket and i put it down.

Fire suprised me . But it was small flame