• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kevin, That's the main thing, that they work. :) 

Tho. My goal is to make them work and look good eventually. :D..... Practice.... and if my functional practice helps others get a start, that's all the more satisfying. Or I can use them till I make better ones.

Wow, Das! Glad to hear!

Almost finished the Brian Brazeal's ultimate tongs. The ends of the reins are undone, and it needs some fine adjusting and hard testing.

589a1cfa2bd55_201702brazealfog2.thumb.jpg.5e6cc14acdeadf4a346cb3c07199128b.jpg

A half round anvil stake came out, too. It's from an old machine part that already had the half round, so I cheated mostly :) 

589a1d3faf2a5_201702fnyeztke.thumb.jpg.19db1a3f0c7e1c0ced4c01157450a001.jpg

nothing much exiting, rewired foot switch for press as wire was to short, finally wired in a 3 phase socket on the other side of the shop that I had been waiting for an electrician to call in and do since mid december so no more extension lead across the floor.

tested press, deburred a few parts, tested saw ( and swapped phases to make it run right way )

Wow, I came back, and was shocked to see 110 replies!

Got bored, and made myself a little hammer this evening.

Last weekend I worked on some pattern welded steel made from chain for a project that I'm excited about. Also made my 1st and second sea horses, and also made a horse head coat hook. I made the texturing tool for the horse heads, also made a new eye punch. A friend of mine came over, dropped off a bunch of steel, and out of the blue we made a really really nice square center punch with a pineapple twist handle out of some Big (7/8") coil spring for a friend of his that gave him a $500 toolbox for his truck. But, of course I don't have a picture of it.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5746[1].JPG

IMG_5749[1].JPG

IMG_5748[1].JPG

IMG_5743[1].JPG

IMG_5745[1].JPG

IMG_5751[1].JPG

IMG_5752[1].JPG

An anvil bridge out of a big piece of truck leaf spring.

IMG_2251.JPG

Also, worked on a pair of tongs and made a rather rough-and-ready round punch. Had a couple of failed pieces; just couldn't seem to get into the rhythm this evening. Maybe tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Wow, I came back, and was shocked to see 110 replies!

Well, LittleB you created a very valid thread, didn't you? :) This was really good idea.

Good work, very nice mini hammer - now you can tame the mouses to forge, maybe get them a Mousehole, too. ;)

Bests:

Gergely

31 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

JHCC, is that for punching/chiseling?

It's for working on things that won't fit over the heel of the anvil, such as closely spaced tines on a fork. 

I took the idea from one of the drawings in "A Blacksmith's Craft".

16 hours ago, Glenn said:

Hang the temporary extension cords from ceiling supports. It greatly reduces the trip hazard.

For those shop extension cords that get strung out all over the place, use a air hose reel with a winding handle to recover and store the electric cord until the next time it is needed.

It is not advised to have the cord energized while on the spool. It could heat up under certain conditions.

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

For those shop extension cords that get strung out all over the place, use a air hose reel with a winding handle to recover and store the electric cord until the next time it is needed.

I made up a swing jib from a industrial sliding door rail and hung electric and air line sockets on a trolley which also has hooks to take four angle grinders and a work light and etcetera. It is also heavy duty enough to carry the wire feed unit from the 500 amp MIG or the inverter TIG. The arc swings  over the bench and the assembly area on the floor and it keeps all the cables off the floor. 

I saw a similar crane on a visit to Christof Friedrich's water powered forge in Switzerland and just had to have one. This is the same Christof Friedrich that first demonstrated the Friedrich's split cross at the Saint Louis ABANA conference in the mid nineties. He has a lot to answer for!

Alan

589af04bb0a45_AlanEvanspowertooljib.jpg.bfab98c9667bf605336b941ebdaf1723.jpg

6 hours ago, Glenn said:

I store mine this way and it's great!  I did discover, though, that you need to UNWIND them ALL THE WAY when you use them!  I had a 50' cord wrapped up like this, only needed about 10' to plug in my skill-saw.  A couple of hours of heavy use later, I smelled smoke and noticed the insulation on the wrapped up part smoking!  Seems common-sense now, but I never realized I was basically making an induction coil.