I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thanks Shoshinjoe..  Nice work on your own account.  Scissors can be fun and challenging. did you put a wavy washer in or precurve the blades to spring in use? 

Roudy,  nice work on the billet..  That seam there can certainly be closed up.. Throw it in an acid bath after a wire brushing, get it clean and then flux it and with extremely light taps watch it close up and then at a welding heat forge out your desired tang. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I did, is learn that if you're low on fuel (coal in my case) don't start the project. Or be ready to switch to a different fuel, mid stream.

After watching a video on forging a thumb latch handle, I got the idea that I can do this. So after playing in the hills for an hour or so, I came back and fired up the forge.  I knew I didn't have enough fuel to complete the project but figured I'd get a start on it anyway.  I had a sway bar from my tractor that I figured to be  decent stock to use.  It's about 2" wide and about 3/8" thick. So I knew I'd be drawing it quite a bit. which requires heat, many times, to get to the desired width, and thickness. So I figured I had enough fuel to get it drawn, and  mabe  a start on the flared out whatchamacallit on one end.   I got it drawn to about 3/16"x1" and the end gizmo to about 2"x1/8". I wanted to do a simple square, rather than an arrow point or acorn. But my square turned out to be more like a trapezoid, But at least the small part is where it needs to be.    I've no clue what alloy this steel is, but it seems to like a lot of heat to move it. And of course as it gets thinner, it takes more re-heats, more often. So ya gotta be quick, and accurate with your strikes.  Well, with the re-heats, and what all, I used up the last of my coal, to the point that ash was blowing out of the forge.  (I wasn't too concerned about a minor burn or two, just wanted to get hot) But when the  level of coal was even with the top of the fire pot, I called it quits. 

Also, my slack tub has developed a hole in it, and caused a muddy mess.  

Another thing I learned is that I need a "leroy" to hold the end of long stock level in the forge.    What you see in the pic, is the last dab of coal that I have.  I'm well pleased with how long it lasted. Charcoal would have been gone after the first heat. ;)

IMG_20200301_155649159 (Copy).jpg

Oh, I also had the opportunity to utilize my new hot cut.  It worked quite well. :D

My freind that makes bows is doing some walnut coffee tables and asked if i could do legs for them. So i prototyped one today to see how he likes them. This is not a finished project just an idea of what he wants. I do not like the foot, will try something different next. Thoughts, critiques,and ideas much welcome. Used a piece of 1/8" x 1" strap. He wanted 2', however i found that about 16" works much better for a coffee table. 

As a side note he found a guy here that has 10 walnut trees downed on his property. That is a sweet score for wood. The tables will be live edged and resin covered. 

20200301_165917.thumb.jpg.9452f8f86e0c517ef90f56b0eebe91bb.jpg

Did the basic assembly on the candelabra, although there’s a LOT of cleanup still to do. 

A90E00D8-9EF2-48D5-8831-4BA73D2022BF.jpeg

And while I had the welder out, I fabbed up a couple more bending forks. The stems are 1” schedule 40 pipe hammered to 7/8” square to fit my hardy hole. 

4D083C53-77AE-405E-95FA-C4683DB178A9.jpeg

I haven’t been keeping track as closely as I should have, but it’s probably been eight or ten (maybe?), spread over several days and intermingled with time spent on other projects. I’m undercharging, but as I said to the client, he’s getting the “clergy who just moved to Alaska from Colorado whom I’ve known for over a decade and whom I love like a brother even though our political views are somewhat different” discount. 

2 hours ago, Savage11 said:

Looks like flux core?

That’s right; it’s a machine on long-term loan from the Theater Department of the college where I work. I wish it were set up for MIG, but it’s hard to argue with free.

Speaking of the college, I also met yesterday with two of my students, who are in the process of getting a blacksmithing club chartered as an official student organization. If they’re successful, that will give them access to student activity funds and possibly their own space to set up a forge. Exciting!

Finished another poker, I think I like this one a little more than the last one.

IMG_2020-03-01_20-45-27.thumb.jpeg.e3b81818bc452fcf09f68e2df5386133.jpegIMG_2020-03-01_20-45-35.thumb.jpeg.e44f209f440d15e28ae23380d82a8268.jpegIMG_2020-03-01_21-08-59.thumb.jpeg.2ceece721396a6be0e13f4cbbde838a3.jpegIMG_2020-03-01_20-45-44.thumb.jpeg.9e99afe2f46bb3d14a8ebd1e38e1c1cc.jpeg

I also got started on a pair of scissors. I'm following the method shown by Torbjorn Ahman. I think this one will be a fun little project.

IMG_2020-02-28_21-55-20.thumb.jpeg.b4112cf116279d17042924631954112a.jpeg

Took the trash to the transfer station Saturday morning and stopped by the scrapyard next door for only a couple of hours.  50 pounds went home with me: as bunch of short lengths of sucker rod some with ends, an nice pickup coil spring, a handful of nuts and bolts, some old solid railing NOT galvanized, a couple of tools. As I was checking out the guy mentions they have some heavy stuff hidden away way in the back. So I trudge out there and Yup 4" plate does qualify as heavy stuff. I know a guy who needs a heavy anvil to do some industrial work who will get sent to look at it.  Some heavy curved sections too.  I'm going to ask them if I can pull the lifting eyes off one piece to use as dishing forms.

Then I get a call that one of my friends/students has driven down to visit and is waiting outside of the shop; so I bop off home and open it up and ask him to start the gasser while I make a pitstop.  As I had gotten the sucker rod with the ends on it for him to make into ball stakes for the hardy hole for armouring, he got to strike with the sledge.  We fitted them to the "largest" 1" hardy hole I had as the end users should be easily able to grind them to fit smaller ones.  The excess sucker rod will be saved for tong material.

Another friend/student dropped by to hang out at the forge and was working on a pineapple twist, very nice.  I suggested he make a set of tongs with the dragon tail twist for handles for a friend for April 1st....

I made a handle for a stump for the NMT bladesmithing club as I was tired of listening to them complain about moving their anvil stumps when setting up to forge.  1/2" square stock, doubled over at the hammer in ends, tapered points, octagonalized grip, simple really.  Had to shut down early as I had been invited to a catered meal in a local canyon...very nice indeed!

Sunday after Church and after my wife spent hours in the Church kitchen, (got home at 3 pm); I duplicated a wood stove ash scraper that a member from our church had.  They bought it and used it in their house in the UK and liked it so much they brought it over to use in their house here and were thinking how nice it would be to have one in each location...  Simple project: 1/2 of a 4" diameter 16 gauge sheet metal circle with a 16" long 1/4" sq handle with a loop on the end.  Used a set of dividers to scribe the half circle and the beverly to cut it out, filed the edge smooth. Used an eggbeater drill to drill the hole for the handle tenon and drifted it square with a masonry nail.  Filed the square tenon on the end of the handle. (No electricity in the shop; so very 19th century....save for the fact that the apprentices would be doing all this!) Rather than the rather plain handle on the original; I did an interrupted twist, broke the corners in the grip section, made a *nice* loop, also with broken edges. Waxed the handle.  Riveted the sq tenon in place; all in all a quiet little Sunday afternoon project for some friends.  I have a suspicion more work may show up after they talk about it with others in town...

I also discussed the shop rearrangement with my friends who will probably be a lot of the labour in doing it.  First to get the carport added and then move some items out there, coal storage, RR forge, 6" post vise, etc and move the screwpress into the forge area out of the clean shop area.

BR: was that sway bar low carbon?  I've seen some old ones that looked to be around 1070 and a be a whole *lot* of work to forge down into a thumb latch!

Completed the fireplace grate project and delivered it to the client.  This was a lesson in shorting myself on hours when I did the estimate. Took me 3 times as long as I quoted but I stood by my quote. Live and Learn. Client was VERY happy with it and tossed me a few extra $$$ as well. 

20200229_131122.jpg

20200229_131154.jpg

20200229_131210.jpg

JHCC, 

That's is really awesome and you cant beat free. I know my Lincoln  SP125 was free.

Wow, you all are producing fantastic works of art or rather usable works of art. There is no shortage of talent here.

Jwilson645, good on you for keeping your word. That's a rare trait these days. Your a man of honor and integrity. Those qualities will serve you well in business and in life.

6 minutes ago, Savage11 said:

Jwilson645, good on you for keeping your word. That's a rare trait these days. Your a man of honor and integrity. Those qualities will serve you well in business and in life.

Thank you. I had never worked with 3/4" material before so the added heating & beating time combine with making all of bends match up, it just took way longer. I am used to making things and then selling so guesstimating is something that I must work on. I figured I was more likely to have a return customer if I stood by my quote instead of trying to squeeze him for more money.  

You learned on this one. the next one you will know what to charge..   

There is something about 3/4" square stock that for years was a hurdle for me.  I could work 5/8" pretty good, but stepping up to 3/4" and I'd be a shrinking violet. 

JHCC,  Even if I it would still take me a lot longer. 

JHCC, nice candelabras. Your friend will be pleased i think. 

Frazer, like that poker, the handle especially. By the way did you realize your socks do not match?  

671, your leaf is cool. It does look Alien inspired. 

Jwilson, i like that fire grate. I may have to try that. Spring coming up and camping gear is going to be a big seller around here. Thinking scrolls on both side for a campfire. Think 1/2'" stock to make it lighter and more portable, maybe.

I only got a little over an hour to play in the fire tonight so i tried a different scroll for the foot on my table legs. I like this much better so i will see what my fren likes. And like the other critiques, ideas, and suggestions are always welcome. This is a piece of porch railing. 1/2" square that is 2' 3" long and already has the twist the whole length , may have to cheat and just use it. It is kind of more what he is wanting anyway, i just could not get a 2' piece to heat evenly enough to twist that long. With 1/2" i am also thinking bracing will be needed. Seems kind of flimsy for a big slab of walnut. 

20200302_184354.thumb.jpg.9b606568d23e6ff6960d5a8ef34f73c5.jpg

Billybones, not sure about that end for furniture legs. If the leg come down to a radius like that is may be a bit bouncy with a heavy slab top. An upset 90 degree corner might be more stable.

No forging to speak of, but I lit the forge yesterday and cooked down quite a bit of 20 mule team borax. I knew the volume would be reduced, but it’s really surprising to me just the same. Also, from those who have done this, did it turn out right? It ended up almost a black/brown glass, then gray when ground down. (Used about 1/3 to 1/2 a box of borax and cooked it off in an old cast iron pan. Then, chipped the glass out with a hammer and chisel, and finally ground it in a cheap 2nd hand “bullet” type drink blender. Took three batches to get the quantity pictured below.)

Thanks, David

FEF959FF-BA0F-4929-8967-01221443DADE.jpeg

8 hours ago, jwilson645 said:

I stood by my quote

jwilson

I am glad to have read that. Being a man or woman of your word is something that is becoming much less common. As a small business owner  doing custom steel fabrication ,I have had my fair share of painful jobs. I do all of my own quotes and estimating a job based upon you doing the work is hard enough at times. Now mix in employees  . Estimating jobs based upon employees can be scary.

As you bid more jobs you will get a hang for it, especially if you are a one person show.  For years the size of jobs that I did slowly got larger until I got to a point where most of the jobs were of a certain size. Then one of my best clients wanted me to do a job that was 2-1/2 times larger than I had ever done . I spent a loooooooooong time going thru that estimate before I turned in my proposal . It was nerve wracking at times but that job made me good money.

The point i am getting at is Stand by your word It is all you can build your reputation on. When you make mistakes {and you will} don't let them beat you or scare you. As you progress you will learn how to price your work and what the market will bear.

I now tackle some ridiculous , weird , stupid jobs and am not scared of the job or charging accordingly. This weekend I will be shutting down a main street in downtown Austin Tx  to shove 650#  beams In a window on the 3rd floor of a building built in 1910. Once in the window we have to roll them 165 feet thru the building to eventually lower them down to the floor below.    I WILL make very good money on that job!

Take your licks learn from them and continue to make great things! 

Beautiful fire grate J., I really like the elegant simplicity of function. 3/4" is more than 2x the volume of 1/2". That works out to closer to 3x the fuel, effort and time. Education can be expensive, I think you got a bargain.

Double good on ya for sticking by your bid, it'll come back to you in spades. Well done all round Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

Been running a bit short of mild steel for demos, so resorted to some rebar. I've come to quite like working rebar - it comes in a variety of sizes, different patterns and polishes well. And I still think it makes the best snakes!

rebar1.JPG

rebar2.JPG