• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know the state meeting was today, but I when to the Vernon chapter meeting at John’s. Not sure about January’s meeting, but I plan on being at Ken’s in February. It’s only 10min away from my place. If you were there last year, I was the guy who brought the crate in with the ~30” bearing races with a couple of the balls and rollers for the iron in the hat. (Of course, that may have been the chapter meeting, they were back to back weekends)

David

I bought my handles at a renaissance festival. I ran across a bucket full in the corner of a shop and the price was right. Don’t have that option right now, so I was considering ordering from House Handle Company, Dunlap Woodcrafts, and Crazy Crow. I’ll avoid Crazy Crow now! Thanks.

blacksmith-450, those peppers look good enough to eat. 

Started another wind chime. Got it wire wheeled and holes drilled. Drilled holes in the shoes, just got to clean them up. I'll put everything back through the forge to darken them up. And a couple small things. Don't really have any Christmas gifts left to do unless I just feel like doing more. Sorry the picture ain't so great. 

20191215_165300.jpg

Speaking of not-great pictures, here’s my solution to covering the end of the flexible conduit covering my propane hose: a soda can with the top cut off, an “X” cut in the bottom, the can slipped over the burner end of the hose and the end of the conduit, the hose attached to the burner, and the tabs of the “X” crimped down on the hose fitting. 

C5E436CA-1325-440F-9DBD-0FF703DFAC5E.jpeg

Cool 450. Using design to its fullest. :)

CGL, nice. I'll have to give one a go. I made an experimental wind chime out of some bigger pipe. I literally struggled to hang it in a tree by the shop. Onle heard it clanging from the wind once when we were getting wind strong enough to down trees :rolleyes:

Das, I really like your cute little snowmen :D I admire your creativity. And I'd love to see you or anyone who'd like to make the chime I did, and see someone else's spin on it. The main body started out as a practice piece that JLPSERVICES (Jennifer) had told to me to try on drawing out flat stock and making the tapered ends the same length because I have a problem with that sometimes. She describes it much better... so she deserves some credit for the idea. I just decided to turn it into something. I try to use every bit of metal I have. I couldn't find many examples of forged wind chimes, but that is what that piece wanted to be. Albeit, not much forging involved. And that was supposed to read" a tinkling sound" in my post above. Not tingling :rolleyes:

On 12/14/2019 at 9:24 PM, Goods said:

I plan on being at Ken’s in February.

If you are talking about, Ken D. in Columbus. I haven't been there. ( 1 1/2 hrs. from here ) I go to Johnson Co. Park. and Rushville shops tho. ( I really like the Rushville shop) I belong to the RSMA , IBA and Covered Bridge groups. You can check them out on FB and see some of my work.........                     life is good                  Dave

CGL, lol, I read what you meant to type and missed the typo. 

I don't think I could ever use every bit of metal I got, but I'll try while still collecting more. :)

Jennifer, I'm probably more a wizard with a grinder haha. My main go to welder is a Lincoln Pro-Mig 135. Far as I see they don't make it anymore but it has been a great machine for me. I use argon/co2 shielding gas. 

I got a hobart ironman 230 for heavier welding. It's a nice machine as well.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, Goods said:

I was considering ordering from House Handle Company, Dunlap Woodcrafts, and Crazy Crow. I’ll avoid Crazy Crow now! Thanks.

I dearly hope this reply does not get me "__ penalty points which shall never expire" because I'm not selling or recommending anything, just stating a personal experience, but re Jennifer & Good's query: On advice from Alan Longmire's in his extensive wrapped hawk tutorial/WIP, I ordered and received several profiled handles from Dunlap last week. They even tossed in a "reject" handle (rejected due to low-grade grain, not a profiling error) for me to practice on so I didn't have to possibly butcher up a nice premium curly maple example while fitting it for my first try at a wrapped hawk. Wood is beautiful and the machined profile (according to my Blacksmith Depot TD1 drift) is right on the money. I admit I have not tried the other two suppliers, they certainly may be just as good, I only mention this because it seems to me we should pass the word among us when a good source of blacksmithing materials is encountered.