Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, blacksmith-450 said:

Thank you dudes. Sorry for my frenchie post but sometime it is easier for me. Anyway Google translate and @SLAG are there for us ! :)

In this instance also include Mr.  I Dragon.

Bon soir mon ami  Mr. 450.

SLAG.

Went to the NM Artist Blacksmith Association meeting Saturday. Robb Gunter was the demonstrator, (some of y'all may know of him from the Gunter/Schuler method of anvil repair), he demonstrated hollow forging of pipe and tube.   Showed some useful tricks for doing a Twisted newel post of tubing, bamboo from blackpipe and even did a 3D apple with blossom, knobs on the base stem, etc.

Got home in time to make another simple coat hook for my office door, forging out the body of a RR spike longer, not wider---my straight peen with the 1" diameter peen is handy for that and I trued the sides with the screw press.  Like the last one I punched the hole with my Whitney punch and put a strip of duct tape down the back and they are holding my computer bag and coat right now.

I also notched and folded and welded up that chunk of ????? I have previously mentioned.  Going to have a friend arc weld a handle to it and start truing it up into a billet and than into a blade---if it sparks well.  May see about getting a test done on it to see what alloy(s) it was to start with.

My fabrication table is 4'x8' and has been collecting odds and ends from constant ongoing projects; i finally got it all cleaned off. (Probably for the first time since i made it). I use it for everything from steel fab, vice station, and sword polishing; as a flat space it tends to attract objects, so it was nice to get it all clean, which will facilitate some upcoming projects.

We just used broken epee blades for skewers like that, thoroughly cleaned of course.. 

Some 19th century and earlier grills used  semi cylindrical bars on a slant and collected the "drippings" for use in basting, gravy, etc.  Harder to wash; but burning them off worked ok...

I made my first meat flipper and toasting fork, with bottle openers on each. I’m not happy with the openers, the end of my horn is too large so I had to stick a large drift in the Pritchel and use that to shape them. I won’t try another until I make proper tools to work with, but at least I’m identifying what I did wrong and what I need to do to improve. These will be going on the “learning wall” or “what’s that” as my wife says when I show her my latest work  3ED92BFC-BC93-4409-AB9F-C4DC915C7B00.thumb.jpeg.a8f5a7216c1626384c9161793debce92.jpeg

Good looking job, but I can’t see what you have to secure it I have a large bench vice, that swivels, flat jaws one side and round jaws the other for round stock that I can chuck my 4 1/2 inch grinder, or my portable bandsaw in to use, but I’m always looking for better ideas 

Been working on a set of custom stairs. Single stringer in the middle vertical 3/4 round pickets plug welded into the tread plates. The wood worker has to slide his wood treads down over 6 pickets on each tread plate. After the treads are installed I have a flat bar which plug welds on top of the pickets. Drilling a 13/16 hole at a 31.8 degree pitch on 1-1/4 x 1/4 flat bar has been fun.

IMG_5794.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5797.jpg