I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Preferred not to cut and weld, but wanted it shorter with the same weight while increasing the sweet spot. 200ish lbs.

local weld shop will do the work. 

Green represents full penetration welds.

yellow represents a perimeter seam.

It will be clamped flush while welded.

Did I make a booboo?  I still have the other fork.

79E65AC5-FE54-468A-ADCE-9B86E9BE4505.jpeg

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is kinda cool.  If the welds are decent a full penetration weld is not needed. 

4140 which fork lift tines seems to be can be heat sensitive in the HAZ zone so some preheat or skip welding can be a good thing as is crater fill. 

I don't think I would make it one sided though. If you really wanted to have that bridge aspect to the setup. I would weld that loose leg to the other side and better yet cut off flat section and double stack it vertical instead of horizontal to get some mass under it. 

If you have extra material you could just add that under the flat bridge section and that would work well too. 

42 minutes ago, Eventlessbox said:

Haven’t checked yet. Lol. It should though. May have to heat it to melt in the base 

The candle loop should be able to be sprung open with the thumb tab.

Frosty The Lucky.

Dear Eventlessbox,

Nice work.  Is that a forge weld between the hook and the shaft?  The hook should be at the exact point of balance.  Also, I suggest a sharper tip since miners' candlesticks (aka tommy stickers) were designed to be pounded into a crack in the rock or a mine timber.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

CGL The miners candle holders are neat items and easy to make. 

If your ideas and things to make notebook is anything like mine, you should be approaching a new volume.  That way there is never an excuse as what to make when the forge gets hot. And you can tell the good items by the burn marks on those pages. (grin)

I have a composition book with things in it and a bunch of notepad pieces of paper all over the place. An idea will pop in my head or some piece of advice or instruction I want to remember and I write them down real quick. Nobody would probably ever be able to decipher them ;)

15 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

That is kinda cool. 

Thank you for the input. Got me thinking again. I'll add another upright which will make the sweet spot 6"x6" and still leave 7 3/4" for a horn. I would like the full penetration welds for ease of  mind, and when i progress to the sledge/striker.

IMG-4657.JPG

Gorgeous alexandr. I would expect nothing less. On that note, here's mine. Wind chime is finished. I may have to get heavier fishing line. It's heavy altogether, but it's a particularly windy day so I tested it. It works. And a couple more small things. Getting my Christmas things knocked out slowly but surely. 

20191208_145546.jpg

Dear CGL,

Your heavy weight horseshoe wind chime is a relative of what we call a Wyoming wind sock.  You attach a length of log chain to a fence post and judge how strong the wind is by how many links of the chain the wind is lifting. e.g. "It's a might breezy today.  I'd call it a 4 link breeze."  You can also use it for other weather conditions.  Dripping: rain, icicles: freezing, on fire: lightning, gone: tornado.

Glenn,

I consider my bench book as messages down the time stream to a future me.  It keeps me from forgetting whether a miner's candle stick starts off with an 18" or 20" piece of 1/4" stock.  If it has been awhile since I made something it is nice to have a message from my past self to remind me of the details and not have to design and experiment from the ground up.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

That is fantastic.  I have 3 notebooks all partially full with forged items and notes on how to make that item with notes for making it easier.

It's funny how now looking back at the items the listed times it took to make them..   This spring lock has 1.5hrs.. Now to make that same lock would take 3hrs.

Be sure and put down how much time it takes.  This will become important later. 

Nice work Duckcreekforge.  Nice job. did you copy it out of your notebook? 

P10552532.JPG

P10552542.JPG

Thanks Jennifer,     no I started with a picture of the finished product and worked backwards. I did take the picture from my 3 ring binder of saved blacksmithing items. At the time, I was looking for project ideas and this was my go to book. It is full, I had to start another. I have neglected to document time per project.

607339A4-F3EC-49A7-88E0-70F5795A0445.jpeg

Duckcreekforge.  I originally tried to do full on photo's of the finished project with the initial drawing of starting metal and then steps to finished forging.   It become to time consuming to include the photos in the journal.. 

So I started a photo journal of finished projects and would just date the back of the photo.  

Sadly as I went along I was forging enough that I started to leave data out and my last few detailed drawings were just of the starting stock, finish time per piece and any measurement that were unexpected. 

If I ever go full time again. I will document the information more clearly again.  Adding the finish time was important for myself as it gave me a way to better estimate quotes and such. .