I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Precious metals give a different return than: iron, brass, aluminum, etc.

Not that easy. It takes years to distinguish the difference in the sounds of different metals. I have been using a metal detector for 20 years now and pot metal still sounds just like silver. Best thing to do is dig everything. After all, wrought iron is considered a precious metal, isn't it? <_< 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

dowsing works amazingly well

My wife is a veritable wizard when it comes to dowsing. We had a water leak in the pipe that runs from the well house about 50 feet to the house. There was no water showing at the surface so I started digging at the house because the line is only three feet deep there. I figured I would find the leak eventually.:) My wife got her dowsing rods and started to follow the general area the line was laid. She got about 15 feet from where I was digging and said it's right here. I thought ya right, but to humor her I would dig down there and low & behold I started running into damp soil. A little more digging and the water started pooling up in the hole. I finally reached the pipe at about 5 feet deep and the leak was exactly where she pointed out. I love that girl she saved me about three days worth of digging in rocky Ozarks Karst terrain.

Another time she found 6 rather rare black powder shell casings (41Swiss Vetterli) that I had converted to center fire and lost in the tall grass. Made me a believer after that.

11 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

My wife is a veritable wizard when it comes to dowsing. We had a water leak in the pipe that runs from the well house about 50 feet to the house. There was no water showing at the surface so I started digging at the house because the line is only three feet deep there. I figured I would find the leak eventually.:) My wife got her dowsing rods and started to follow the general area the line was laid. She got about 15 feet from where I was digging and said it's right here. I thought ya right, but to humor her I would dig down there and low & behold I started running into damp soil. A little more digging and the water started pooling up in the hole. I finally reached the pipe at about 5 feet deep and the leak was exactly where she pointed out. I love that girl she saved me about three days worth of digging in rocky Ozarks Karst terrain.

Another time she found 6 rather rare black powder shell casings (41Swiss Vetterli) that I had converted to center fire and lost in the tall grass. Made me a believer after that.

Most people fail to recognize we are all energy and our tie to spirit and energy are all the same.  

this past year with the new shop being built I used crushed concrete and it was delivered with all sort of metal included.  The neat thing is there were pieces of L shaped wire from floor reinforcement  wire and anyhow, as an example I shown how just taking these bent wires to one of my martial arts students how to pin point water in the ground.  He had never seen this. 

so I took the 2 L's from the dirt and held them loosely and walked around and they crossed and uncrossed at each wet spot.      I then gave him instruction to keep his hands loose and to allow for the rods to turn completely on there own.  His results were smack dab on with mine.    He was amazed he could actually feel the energy move the rods.   Initially he was freaked out by this but we had been working on Chi generation and focus but it was the first time he experienced it as an outside source so strongly. 

5 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I took the 2 L's

Interesting, I was taught to use a single Y shaped stick. Same principle as your method, hold the arms in your hands with the leg away from you, but instead of crossing sticks, you know where the water is when the leg drops down towards the ground

Going to try a few folded eye hawks, but had no hammer/hawk tongs. So today I made this crude pair from 20" pieces of 1/2" round. Amazing how hard it is (for me) to get the second tong handle to be a nice clean mirror image of the first one. Ha.

Also tried another dry weld test project, 1/8" 1084 sandwiched between two pieces of 11 gauge mild sheet. Welding went fine, so I did a "test" flat grind on one side of part of the resulting billet and etched it. Very happy it went so well, I really like the look of a dramatic transition line between MS and HC, I actually like the looks of low-count san mai better than zillion-layer "damascus". Now I'm gonna have to make some knives that way.DSC01298-1.thumb.jpg.1271765cb87949dfe8647be38049c498.jpg

Hawk Tongs.jpg

DSC01299-1.jpg

DSC01309-1.jpg

Les L, I hope it didn't run your hunt! 

Silent and Picker, nice work. I love seeing what everyone makes. Here is mine for today. First split cross. A little janky, but I got the idea now. I've been saying I can't do leaves very well. It's been a long while since I made some, so I thought I'd give it a go. I discovered my hammer control is much better since the last time and went much faster. Just a raised central vein. Nothing fancy. The finish is scalier and rougher than I normally would do. But just practicing skill and I'm pleased to find out have much improved. Thanks for looking

20191201_160151.jpg

CGL, you’re cross looks a lot better than my first try. I like the vein I the leaf, simple but defines it. The laugh didn’t mess up anything and I always enjoy a good one. Silent Forge, I like your stand. Picker, great looking pattern, I agree with the low count. 

21 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Not that easy. It takes years to distinguish the difference in the sounds of different metals. I have been using a metal detector for 20 years now and pot metal still sounds just like silver. Best thing to do is dig everything. After all, wrought iron is considered a precious metal, isn't it? <_< 

I can go with that, the only detector I have much experience with was a small rectangular box on a metal pole walking stick length. It had a meter and an external speaker. It was really loud and we could ID a galvy culvert from an iron drain, or tell the difference without IDing them between: al cans, steel cans, copper wire, etc. And the TV shows showing detectors in use seem to be able to differentiate pretty well. 

I know that makes me far from experienced even, let alone expert. It has me wondering if newer or specialized detectors might make for my knowledge gap?

Frosty The Lucky.

I played around with the bearing steel again today. Got my daughters carving knife shaped and ready for HT.

20191201_162554.thumb.jpg.9292282ed45884a4254c1a0f1d5a204e.jpg

First I need to do a test piece to see if I can harden this steel. Is it 52100? You tell me. I know there are beter ways to do this but I must've done something right.

I cut a small piece of the race and pounded out a rough blade shape. Then normalized twice.

I heated it to yellow heat and cooled with my air hose and blow gun.

Normalized a third time.

I then heated to nonmagnetic or a little hotter and watching the color, tried to keep it as close to that temp as I could for 10 minutes. Quenched in conola.

The file skated so in the toaster oven at 400 for an hour twice. It came out dark straw, almost bronze. This thing is still hard. I roughed some bevels with my belt sander and got the edge close. Took forever to sharpen. I was beginning to think it wouldn't sharpen. Then all of a sudden it started shaving hair. Right now it's as sharp or sharper than any blade I have.

20191201_162627.thumb.jpg.dc201709f853e7c6fc256a37e4458fb2.jpg

I see more knives in the future using this bearing. I'll make a post in the knife section when I finish my daughter's carving knife.

19 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I can go with that, the only detector I have much experience with was a small rectangular box on a metal pole walking stick length.

Some of the high end detectors claim to discriminate between metals and they do a pretty good job but none of them are perfect. A large piece of iron will still make you think it's a silver dollar.

You should get a detector. There's lots of free metal in the ground. I cleaned an old file today that is probably 100 years old or older. I am going to forge it into a knife and try to heat treat it. It should be close to 1095. We'll see. :) 

Soak in vinegar should work. Nice work.

Always good stuff on here. 

Randy, I'm no expert on carving knives but the one I have has the blade straight and the spine curved. I'm sure there are different types and that looks good. 

Cgl, great starts! I threw my first cross away, it was a mangled mess lol. Thats a great start. Next forge a veining chisel if youd like. Mine is a dulled almost half moon cutting chisel but there are different styles that all look good. Like the way Conrad did his. 

Thank you Das. The cross was a random length of 3/8" round. I think I'll use square next time. I have a blunted chisel that sounds like yours that I use for leaves. I wasn't feeling that ambitious today. Or maybe lazy ;)

Randy, good work. I'm not a knife maker so I don't have anything relevant to tell you. I'm happy you are getting to forge! 

Eventless, very nice rose and ditto on ther vinegar soak. 

Helped a fellow and his wife transfer from navy in philly shipyard to Kentucky, he showed me how to find water with forked stick I was amazed, had me walk across yard it went down, he said follow that line down the grade, and there was a spring feeding a creek, then he had me approach a large plastic bowl on a kitchen table, stick went right down to it, he said it finds a void, I was skeptical but I be xxxxxx if it didnt work