I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

1 minute ago, Steve Sells said:

I closed my Dojo years ago

I read a thread where you said you are a Jiujitsu practitioner. I too have trained on and off for the last 15ish years. Competed in a few submission tournaments just so I could place myself. Came out 2nd everytime! It was very frustrating. Anywho, its nice to know a fellow martial artist is on the forum. A martial arts blade maker.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My parent made me take aikido for a few years as a kid, and the rolls they thought me have stayed with me, and saved me from injuries many times. The worst it saved me from was when I was riding my bike home from school, when a squirrel ran across the road, the cars going both ways stopped for the squirrel and missed it, only for the squirrel to run right under my front tire. Over the handle bars I go, without thinking I start to tuck in the air, landing on my shoulder with my momentum continuing the roll and before I knew I was falling, I was up and running along side of the car that had stopped for the squirrel. As I look back, the squirrel gets up and limps off, and my bike is a crumpled mess on the side of the road. 

nice leaf Blackegg. I like the ridges. What is the stock?

4 minutes ago, Shabumi said:

I was up and running

Nice save. People learn a lot about themselves when challenged. For me it was learning to stay calm and methodical under pressure. Kinda evokes a flowstate of sorts.

55 minutes ago, 671jungle said:

Nice save

It was more muscle memory than anything else, the dojo I was at as a kid made us do 20 minutes of rolling before every class, so I can't not roll like that without forcing it. Now I'm working on making hammer control into muscle memory.

Good looking leaf blackegg, reminds me of the madrone trees we have out here.

I have found that few students ever show up to learn the way of peace..  it's a gradual process as they find fighting is not what they think it was and that peace comes from inside. Not what is happening around themselves.   

The only thing we can control and change is our own thoughts.  Everything external directly or indirectly can test most to respond in a knee jerk reaction.   Anyhow, I have found that it takes some time before they see beyond what they think things are. 

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Made another pair of tongs

JHCC 

how long did it take you to make that set of tongs ? I have never made any and figure that for me to make some I just need to multiply whatever time it took you by 5 or maybe 10 to arrive at time invested in a set of tongs :wacko: 

Old crew tongs don't take that long. I put up a couple of videos on different methods that don't involve forge welding.    The part that usually throws a person off is the forge welded type which is the fastest vs drawing the reins out which can be tiresome  if the hammer arm is not in great shape.   

Brian Brazeal has a great video on tong making and a great take on moving metal.  Well worth the watch. 

I would agree and really enjoy Brian’s videos.  But my favorite is the split tongs.  I can finish a set in bout an hour to 1.5 if the forge is up to temp.   Just finished my 16th pair yesterday.  First few where a total failure and the next few failed at some point.  Few more dozen and I might have the hang of it

17 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Tangle diver.  sometimes those Leds need some time plugged in to correct.   With this said.  why EMI filter?  Do you have something on the line or close that would cause interference?

That is just what turned up in a search. I wish to use the light fixture if I can filter out the radio interference is all.

Here is just another example of the same...

Anyway, I got some fit-up /prep work done on the 'south pole' today as I call it. Their are 8 poles holding up the structure, the one on the south side is number 6 of 8.

15 hours ago, SLAG said:

There are a lot of smiths with a martial arts background on this site.

I'm not surprised. Both martial arts and smithing are forms of expression. 

A couple days ago I made my 2nd knife. About 10" OL. I tried to focus on accentuating the middle and bevel lines. Could've shot a better angle for the pic. Stock: coil spring.

IMG-4357.thumb.JPG.1e248cfaeafc2dff6856433ebfe43155.JPG