Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Lou L said:

Just do a search for barrel drift pin.  There were a number of hits.  My local steel place has buckets of them used for cheap.  Maybe $10 for five of them.  They could me in a number of diameters and I'd love to get various sizes.

Thanks. A lot of names for the same thing. I will look out for those barrel drift pins. I googled that as you suggested and there is a store a couple of hours away from me in Cairns that sells what they list as boilermakers barrel pins. I'll have a look when next in Cairns.

17 hours ago, Daswulf said:

what size are the horse shoes? Those are all really cool.

Those are bent from 100 mm / 4" long 5x10mm stock. (First drawn out a bit.) I'd say 2" tall and a tad less wide. I try to get better pictures because that one above is really messy. My camera is getting a bit hectic.

G

After having to deal with some pretty monumental crap going on at my daughter's college and putting a full day for commencement/reunion weekend at the college where I work, I really needed to get into the forge and clear my head. This trivet was the result (about 5" across). 

IMG_2770.JPG

Nice tongs Ben.

21 hours ago, JHCC said:

This trivet was the result (about 5" across). 

Forging usually clears the mind for me. I have done some candle holders like that with the turns tight on each other and the center spiked and turned up. uses up a lot of material in no time ;) 

4 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

Tongs to hold my touch mark. 

Good looking tongs.  Watch out for the dreaded thin spot just behind the boss along the reins.  If the reins start as just over 1/2 the boss thickness and taper gradually from there all the way to the end they will be stronger.  

Hammer Making tongs. Forged from 3/4" coil spring, third pair I've made.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6359[1].JPG

IMG_6360[1].JPG

IMG_6361[1].JPG

1 hour ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Good looking tongs.  Watch out for the dreaded thin spot just behind the boss along the reins.  If the reins start as just over 1/2 the boss thickness and taper gradually from there all the way to the end they will be stronger.  

Ordinarily I watch out for it more but for this pair, since they're only being used for one low stress job, I'm not overly worried about it. Being built from coil spring should help too. 

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Hammer Making tongs. Forged from 3/4" coil spring, third pair I've made.

Littleblacksmith

Is there no end to this young man's talent? He never ceases to amaze me.

Just now, John in Oly, WA said:

I'll be mounting a, yet to be made, arbor onto for my grapes.

Will you be forging the grapes? John Bennett has some good YouTube videos on forging vines, leaves, and grapes.

Not forging grapes - I'll let the grape plants make those.

I'm mulling the idea of using all the scrap steel fence posts I have and heating, twisting and forging them into an organic, vine or tree trunk with leaves kind of look for the actual arbor. I'll check those videos - thanks!

A square center punch made from 7/8" coil spring, a surprise for someone. I kinda screwed it up, by that I tried doing something different with the striking end, using a set hammer and the edge of the anvil to forge it octagonaly (new word). It got a little wonkey, choppy, and rombusy, all three my least favorite. Man, JHCC is gonna be all over me for this post. Hahaha.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6367[1].JPG

IMG_6368[1].JPG

5 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

A square center punch made from 7/8" coil spring, a surprise for someone. I kinda screwed it up, by that I tried doing something different with the striking end, using a set hammer and the edge of the anvil to forge it octagonaly (new word). It got a little wonkey, choppy, and rombusy, all three my least favorite. Man, JHCC is gonna be all over me for this post. Hahaha.

Littleblacksmith

Dude, "octagonally" is spelled with two "L"s. 

Nice punch!