I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

made a leash hook for mothers day, straightened out a piece of coil spring and began drawing it out for the reins on a pair of hammer eye tongs.

oh, and both my dads and mine roofing hammer handles broke, strange! you can tell which is mine, it was the nice rust free sharp oiled one...

Had to stop early because of the heat.

IMG_6276[1].JPG

IMG_6278[1].JPG

IMG_6279[1].JPG

IMG_6287[1].JPG

IMG_6288[1].JPG

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Chris, I'm thinking I may do a how to on it! Yeah, some punk kids came over and got a little excited with their sledges...-_-;)

Littleblacksmith

Ok, y'all may have to remind me if y'all don't see it in about a month or so. Come on, you didn't want to bother me?! Cussing out my brothers or a freind, that would bother me, someone asking how to do something, I'm honored to show you! Trust me, please ask questions.

Littleblacksmith 

That dog's head is very clever, Mark. I have seen a lot of them but that looks like an original design to me. The folding over the nose is excellent.

Yeah, we'll remind you about a how-to!

This month's project is a paper towel holder.  I thought about cheaping out and making a single rod wall-mount thing, then my wife shamed me into more work.  So here is my monthly project, warts and all, for everyone to view.

The center post and outer post are 3/8" Tractor Supply rod, horse shoes also were sourced there.  The triangular tie piece on the base was a piece of scrap from the shop floor.

I started out the twist by folding the 36" rod in the middle, then using the loop at the top to twist while holding the loose ends in the vise.  Then I decided the loop looked too plain, so I cut the top, spread the prongs and tapered them to make a heart.  Then of course I had to carry that theme to the outer post, so I split the end of that rod and drew out the two prongs for a small heart.  Also got some cold shuts in the small heart due to trying to take the half-round prongs to make them round.  No such luck.

Towel Holder.jpg

Towel Holder 1.jpg

Well I cringed doing it but I used my rounding hammer- I have a mild steel hammer I used to strike the rounding hammer. My hammer wasn't touching the hot steel any longer than it needed to, and I cooled it between heats. Really though that was only for the final few heats, most of the work is done by using the "fish lips" effect- Alec Steele has a video on how to make a cupping tool, it's what I used as a guide

1495160510132-261254141.jpg

23 hours ago, JHCC said:

On the road for work, so got together with LouL and started a pair of twist tongs. 

IMG_2761.JPG

John, I figured out what that drift thing I gave you is!  It's a barrel drift pin used for aligning bolts holes in structural steel work.  They are tempered carbon steel.  Newer ones are often more interesting alloys.

Thanks for the hangout!  I wish the forge wasn't being so testy.  I think I'll take your advice and rethink my design.  I built it with the possibility of making that change.

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

John, I figured out what that drift thing I gave you is!  It's a barrel drift pin used for aligning bolts holes in structural steel work.  They are tempered carbon steel.  Newer ones are often more interesting alloys.

And for the curious, here's the item in question (along with the nice little note its presence in my suitcase prompted from the TSA):

IMG_2769.JPG

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

Thanks for the hangout!  I wish the forge wasn't being so testy.  I think I'll take your advice and rethink my design.  I built it with the possibility of making that change.

No, thank YOU. I had a blast. A finicky side-blast, to be sure, but a blast nonetheless. 

That thing looks exactly like the last drift I use in making bottle openers. When it passes straight through you know you have the right size. Saves measuring or guessing.

The tool we use for lining up bolt holes on scaffolding etc is known as a podger bar here. Probably the same thing as Lou referred to above.

Bull Pins are also used for aligning structural steel in the USA: e.g.: 

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/broad-head-bull-pins/1-14-broad-head-bull-pin

They make dandy drifts and are on my "snatch them up if I find them cheap at fleamarkets, scrapyards, boot sales, etc" list. I have one that just below the head is the right size for bottle openers.

I checked out that link, Thomas, and those bull pins look like a very handy tool. Unfortunately Klein tools appear to have only one distributor here and they are in S.A..

2 hours ago, ausfire said:

I checked out that link, Thomas, and those bull pins look like a very handy tool. Unfortunately Klein tools appear to have only one distributor here and they are in S.A..

Just do a search for barrel drift pin.  There were a number of hits.  My local steel place has buckets of them used for cheap.  Maybe $10 for five of them.  They could me in a number of diameters and I'd love to get various sizes.