Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me too. :)

I should be installing them tomorrow evening. Still trying to work out the details. It was a brick fireplace. They are having the beam installed tomorrow and mesh over the brick to be getting stone put over it. 

Here's the beam when I went for measurements. 

Front face.

20190207_183128.thumb.jpg.005829209a1b50ce086a06b5d675dfe4.jpg

Top face. I'd have suggested resin to fill that big divot but they had already loaded it with linseed oil, and I didn't want to complicate things. 

20190207_182833.thumb.jpg.2a8c65ff01c1fa87f8a2b1f86d56fe4f.jpg

Still a beautiful old beam. I can't wait to see how these look on it. 

Yeah, too wide to bend in my vise. I ended up clamping them to my welding table and with a piece of bar over top heating with a torch and bending, then cleaned up on the tail of my anvils. (One is flatter and one has better edges. :rolleyes:)

The main bracket is 3" wide x3/16" thick. 

Got the gasser up to ~15psi without significant issues. Did have a few crumbs of Kastolite shedding off the inside surface, but what remains seems solid enough. 

50500A04-E030-4DBA-94D2-C90250218636.jpeg

I took the opportunity to turn four feet of 3/8” round into 1/4” x 7/16” for a project I’ve had in mind. Worked very well, despite my anvil being cold. 

Installed the fireplace mantle brackets today.  The lady was happy with them. With the way the beam was mounted and the backing plaster/morter I did have to trim 1/4" from the top side but other than that installation went easy. 

I'll be excited to get pictures from her after the stonework is finished. Not too bad for my first commission of this type.20190218_193023.thumb.jpg.09b052a0a1c0fb18a81038f519d99901.jpg

Looking good! (And a good place to hang the Christmas stockings!)

I didn’t have any real shop time today, but did grab a minute to try something. I had the idea to make a little Kastolite “tile” as a replaceable floor for the gas forge, so I  put a pound and a half of the dry mix in a gallon freezer bag with 4-1/2 oz. of water, kneaded it until mixed, and then plopped it in the bottom of the forge and pressed it into shape. When it’s hardened, I’ll take it out of the bag and fire it in the forge. If it works, I can use it as a consumable protection against welding flux. 

9EDB91B9-3C3C-473B-BF1A-7D26AB4E023C.jpeg

(Quite possibly a waste of time and material, but a fun experiment nonetheless.)

Thanks John, that was one reason she wanted them. She had mentioned her idea initially to put a bar through the loops to hang stockings from.  I made the bracket that holds the loop deep enough (with enough offset to hold the loops forward) to be able to push the loops back and install a bar through. With some loop hooks to slide on the bar it will hold a bunch of stockings nice and secure. She liked the idea and it will be a future commission. 

Thats a lot of loops... ugh.. I'm going loopy.

Like the forge floor idea. If it works and I ever build one consider the idea borrowed.

Too late Das, you've been loopy since I've known you. Love the mantle brackets can't wait for the close ups. 

Good idea for making a forge floor John. It's not going to be a disposable, not really, Kastolite laughs at hot flux. 

I didn't do anything IN the shop today. It's been snowing a couple days for about 7". Does plowing snow from around the shop count?

Frosty The Lucky. 

Yeah, I'm loopy, lol. 

Oh, I have to say this was my first time riveting something like this together. Used bolts and nuts to hold and did one rivet at a time. Made the rivets, tho they surely didn't turn out as nice as I'd have liked. So a little research is in line for decorative rivets. I did gain some ideas and will be making a proper rivet header tool. I've seen some but was in a crunch for time. Also apparently if I want to make a pyramid ( or other fancy) shaped rivet I need to make a positive to hot hammer into a negative as a "bucking" tool? Still researching and checking older threads. Ah well, my rivets worked fine in the end. 

Das, that is a beautiful mantle. Cant wait to see the finished fireplace with the brick installed.

Anyway, my best friend gets out of lockdown after 14. He was always a camper so i thought i would make him a fork for cooking on the fire. My split went uneven so it is now a poker, little short but maybe good for a camp fire.

20190219_193821.thumb.jpg.0da044d81a65496cc7ecb5094c4633d4.jpg